They Say It’s Your Birthday [Party]

They Say It’s Your Birthday

Originally uploaded by blondemom.

Today we held Caitlin’s Dorapalooza birthday party at a local pizza parlor that has fun distracting games like air hockey, an even more distracting gigantic red gumball machine and, more importantly, ice cold beer for the adults…just in case. It’s only a short distance from our house and I have to say it was pretty nice to not have to clean up the post-party gift tissue and plates and cake spillage at our home or worry too much about the fact that our front shrubs are in dire need of trimming. This was the first party we’ve thrown for her outside of home. We had less then 20 people, including our merry quartet, and that seemed to be a fun, manageable group…not too overwhelming. Caitlin’s actual birthday is next Tuesday, though. Since she bounded out of bed this morning she’s been asking continually, “Is today my birthday?” I’ve explained to her that no, it’s not, but that her party was today because it’s Saturday. To add to the confusion, the hubby and I are taking off work on her birthday and we’re going to do some fun summer activity with the girls…maybe swimming or a trip to the zoo. And, because she’ll want to celebrate with her “school” friends at daycare, I’m taking cupcakes for her class to enjoy. I know as she gets older she’ll understand the extended birthday timeline thing, but if your child’s birthday falls on a weekday, do you have their party on a weekend? Oh, and shouldn’t adults also be entitled to drag the birthday celebration out over several days? I’m just sayin.’

1. R*Belle says:

Beaux always wants everybodys birthday to be his– “My happy day!!”

Sigh.

And is this Chuck E Cheese? I thought about doing a party there next year.

Happy Birthday Caitlin!

R*Belle it’s actually just a local pizza place but they have GREAT food, a party room, and a big game room area with video games, etc. We’ve actually never been to a Chuck E Cheese party, although we were invited to one last year but couldn’t make it.

3. kara says:

Happy birthday Caitlin! And yes, we celebrate our kids’ b-day on the closest weekend.

Kudo’s to you…..20 people was manageable? I’d have been on the beer from the get-go!

4. Helene says:

Personally I think everyone should get a birthday week! Happy birthday to your “big” little girl 🙂

totally! I love the extended birthday. In fact, I had 3 different birthday celebrations for my 33rd, capped with last night’s extravaganza! Why not do the same for these litte ones; it’s the way to go! I really like the way you handled C’s birthday party and may have to copy that idea for Lily’s. No cleaning the house before and after! What’s not to love?! and happy early birthday, girl!

6. mama_tulip says:

Yes, definitely extend the birthday — milk it for all you can! LOL! Julia’s birthday is next Monday and her party’s the Saturday before, and it’s really confusing her…she doesn’t get why we can’t have a big party on Monday.

7. Lucinda says:

What a cutie!

My baby said, “Mommy, I wanna open presents!” for weeks after her birthday and even took to screaming “IT’S MY PARTY!!!” every time she got together with her baby friends for a while. Mercifully, this stage didn’t last long.

8. mommyontheverge says:

what a cute picture! That is one happy gal! Our daughters’ birthdays always last about 3 or 4 days, since we have the family one and then the friends one, and cupcakes at school. What funner time to celebrate though..they get such a big kick out of it!

9. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

Looks like a fun party. She looks so cute in her Dora dress. I agree, having a child’s birthday party out of the house is priceless!

Hey, I think it would be nice to celebrate our birthdays over a few days…why not? Although, as I will be turning 40 in a few weeks, maybe I will change my mind on this one.

10. mothergoosemouse says:

I’m all for the extended birthday party, for kids and adults alike. I think we managed to make Tacy’s last an entire month.

It looks like Caitlin had a wonderful time, and so did you – a major success!

11. Bluegrass Mama says:

Our daughter’s party is always on a weekend. I think she was about 9 before she figured out that the party day wasn’t really her birthday every year. Our son’s birthday is in July, so at least some of his parties were on the actual day. We stop parties at age 12, and he’s about to turn 21, so my memory is a little hazy.

12. Kristen says:

We always do a weekend. But I also have avoided having “real” birthday parties up until this year (my oldest is turning five in August; don’t think I can get out of it any more), in favor of family gatherings at our house with cake and presents (i.e., the only other kids are cousins – less stress for me…I’m selfish, yes I am).

13. Irene Savoia says:

How happy Caitlin is! I took part in the birthday party of the little Tracy two days ago.She was also joyful that day.The laughter on her face is envious.