Waiting

The hubby and I spent an hour at the pediatrician’s office with Amelia yesterday waiting to be called back to an examining room. Then I waited for the doctor (the hubby finally had to leave as he had a late afternoon client and neither of us thought we’d be at the doctor’s office so long). Then I waited around an extra 20 minutes so the nurse could make sure Amelia didn’t have a reaction to the shot of antibiotics.

Now we’re now waiting to see how her poor ears look tomorrow at her followup appointment. This is the last medication hurrah before we do a full-fledged assault on the ear infections that have been plaguing her. We’ll wait to see an ear, nose and throat specialist about tubes. We never got to that point with Caitlin, so this is all new parenting territory and I’m sure I’ll be happy to hear from anyone who has gone the successful route of tubes with their kids.

Any way, I’ve been thinking about how much of parenting is spent waiting.

When you’re trying to get pregnant, you wait for those two pink lines on a pregnancy test.
When you’re sick and tired of being hugely pregnant, you wait for labor pains to start.
When you bring your tiny swaddled baby home, you wait for them to finally sleep through the night.
In a few months you wait for them to show signs they are ready for major league dining.
When they begin crawling, you wait for them to start walking and skinning their knees.
Walking gives way to running and running gives way to jumping and climbing.
You wait for them to start kindergarten.
You wait for them to get their driver’s license.
You wait for them to get home safely at night, even though you swore you’d never do that.
You wait for them to graduate from high school.
You wait for them to apply for college.
You wait for them to get their first apartment and finally move the heck out.
You want for them to get married and start a family of their own.

I will always wait for my girls. They may run ahead of me and barely look back, but I’ll be here for them. Waiting.

1. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

I was a nurse for 14 years (pedi) and I saw many a child have tubes placed…they did very well, and most of them did not experience the plethora of ear infections they once did. I hope they can do something for your little one.
    I love the “waiting” list. Mainly because it is absolutely true…not looking forward to the “waiting for them to come home” thing!

Thank you Pattie! Our pediatrician is very conservative when it comes to tubes (he assured us Caitlin would outgrow her ear infections at a year and she finally did). I feel good about whatever we need to do. I’m just ready for her to know what it’s like to have “normal” ears!

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

No tubes here. But done the waiting thing! A poignant post on my youngest child’s last day of elementary school. I’m willing to wait a lot longer than 10 weeks to put her in middle school!

4. Kristen says:

ACK. I don’t want to think about waiting for them to go to college and move out… let me stay in denial! It’s going to be here so fast…

5. nancy says:

I’m way late to this post, but we’ve done the tubes — with mimi, TWICE, and adenoids also removed the second time, and Rosie’s getting set to have tubes put in a week from today. Send me an e-mail if you’d like to discuss, I am happy to share our experiences!

And I love the end of your post. So poignant and true.

6. Mayberry says:

Hi Jamie (I clicked over from mothergoosemouse),
    Just a quick note to give you our experience with tubes. My son is also 14 mo. From about 8-12 mo he had an almost constant ear infection–he did 4 rounds of antibiotics one right after the other. Our family doc referred him to an ENT. His hearing was checked and it was below normal. That and the fact that he slept so poorly (and the only way we could tell he had another infection was that his sleep got even worse) made it easy to decide to get him the tubes.

It was a simple procedure and he just had his follow-up appt. today. All clear and his hearing has improved too. So has his speech–he is really trying hard to imitate our words and he can follow simple directions so I know he understands too.

HTH!