The Legend of Fat Bug

One of Amelia’s many nicknames is Fat Bug. We also call her Mewa Gwace or just Mewa for short, which are probably nicknames that will “stick.” I mean what teenage girl wants her parents cheering her on the sidelines with a rousing “GO FAT BUG!” at her soccer game or high school graduation?

When we took Amelia to the pediatrician for her 2-week appointment she weighed in at a solid 9 pounds. She weighed 7 pounds 13 ounces at birth and had lost the usual few ounces by the time we checked out at the hospital, so I couldn’t believe how much she’d gained in just two weeks. I busted out laughing when the nurse handed her back to me and told us how much she weighed (and I’ll admit that I was quite the proud mama because she was being exclusively breastfed at that time). When I called my mother after the checkup and told her that Amelia nearly broke a record as far as 2-week weigh-in among our pediatrician’s patients, my mother replied, “Why…she’s a fat bug!” Speaking of fat, Amelia weighed 22 pounds even last week when I took her to the pediatrician for an ear infection. And she’s moved up to a size 4 diaper. Of course, Caitlin weighed nearly 25 pounds at a year. She was the poster child for fat rolls.

Amelia has been talking quite a bit lately, although she’s still not sold on walking as her primary mode of transportation. She will take five or six steps at a time and then plonk her little diapered bottom down as if to say “OK! That’s enough…I’m crawling!” She was playing with Caitlin’s Disney Princess ball the other day and started saying “ball” just as plain as day. She also says mama and dada fairly regularly. She called my dad Papa on Easter Sunday and I thought he was going to burst with pride. She’s also said bye bye, thank you, Bailey, Jack, and flower. But then at her age everything essentially sounds the same.

The hubby watched her for me Thursday while I went in to the office and when I came home, he had taken this photo of her demolishing our DVD collection:

The other afternoon I left her for a minute downstairs (our garage in our ranch style house has been finished into a regular room and we use it as a bonus/computer/dog room) with Caitlin. Any way, when I came back downstairs, she had climbed on to the glasstop coffee table and was sitting there, flipping through a book:

She may be more docile than big sister, but she’s just as sneaky.

1. Kristen says:

Quinn is 3, and still likes to sort through all the DVDs. You better watch out! She’s reached the age where you can never leave her alone or what you might find when you come back is completely unpredictable!! 🙂

2. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

What is it about children and DVD’s? They could have a whole room full of toys, and yet they want the shiny round no-no’s…
    BTW Fat Bug is just such a cute name! I’m with you, though..I’m not sure she would appreciate that when she gets older! 🙂

3. R*belle says:

Bella is sneaky too, I think its a second child thing… they figure we are always busy with other things so they may as well push the limits.

4. Renee says:

My boy likes to play with DVDs too, unfortunately he’s ruined a good many of them. 🙁
    She’s a cutie, I like ‘Fat Bug’!

5. Charla says:

“FAT BUG, YOU’RE DATE IS HERE!”

Somehow I don’t think that will be very appreciated either. We call Claire “pretty girl” so much, she smiles when she hears it. I wonder if she thinks that’s her name?

I heart the Mewa Gwace, though. Reminds me of the Cware we hear every day…

6. sweatpantsmom says:

What is it with DVD boxes? Both my girls spent hours playing with the things, really not very interested in what was inside or, for that matter, what was on screen.

If toy manufacturers were smart, they would come out with a whole line of play DVD boxes that rattled.

7. mrsmogul says:

They are fast! My baby can’t walk yet and he’s already being found in corners and the laundry basket!

8. Jennifer says:

I love baby fat rolls! The Rugrat was and still is the other way, on the low end of the weight scale.

9. Nancy says:

Gosh, I was reading Julie’s comment and thinking how much fun it would be to get all the blog babies together — one big party.

My girls started life on the high side for weight, but now are in the lower percentiles. It was an interesting shift.

Amelia can say Jack and Bailey? What’s next, Bacardi and Maker’s Mark? (just kidding…) 😉