Movin’ On Up

Yesterday Caitlin moved to the 4-year-olds’ classroom at daycare. Although she knows the teacher very well and sees the 4-year-olds on the playground (the 3s and 4s wreak havoc on the same turf), she was super clingy and seemed upset to not go to “her classroom.” She told me several times last night that she didn’t want to “be big.” Her new teacher was wonderful, though, and we took a tour of her new classroom and I got to see the all-important cubby for her artwork. I stayed a few minutes longer than usual yesterday, and when I left the teacher was stroking Caitlin’s hair and talking to her. Although Caitlin won’t be 4 until June they had an opening in the pre-K classroom and her teachers and the director felt she was definitely ready to be with the older kids as she was getting bored with some of the activities and she is soaking up Spanish like a sponge (Dora has some redeeming educational value!) Originally she was supposed to make the move in August, so when I found out last week that she’d be moving up I felt a rush of mixed emotions. This is Caitlin’s last daycare classroom before the big move to kindergarten in a a little over a year. Between that and her upcoming birthday and Amelia finally taking some record-breaking unassisted steps, I’ve been a little emotional to the point of crying over the silliest things. Really, if I’m crying over Caitlin moving up at daycare, what am I going to be like when she starts “real” school…when she goes off to college…when she gets married? I think that’s one of the toughest things about parenting. Learning to let your children grow and learning to let them go. I guess I need to find a good, reliable waterproof mascara.

1. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

Oh Jamie, I feel you on this one. I cried when I just TOURED my son’s elementary school for the first time. It is emotional. It is hard to see your children get older…R*belle’s comment cracked me up!!!

2. Larkspur says:

Now you feel some of the emotions mom did. Especially
    sending her last off to each new stage. I think more difficult when you are a single mom.

3. nancy says:

It really can be emotional for the moms (and dads, somewhat) when the kids undergo a change at school or another major life change. I know I’ve come to love the teachers in my girls’ day care, and even when they move from one class to another (where I already know the new teacher) I get emotional.

My most emotional time was just after Rosie was born — within 3 weeks, day care announced that they were forming a new classroom with the potty-trained kids. Mimi wasn’t quite there, but her teacher wanted her to move up (she was leading the new class) and so she worked with her for 2 weeks intensely to get her potty trained. It was so amazing, yet so overwhelming, to have all that going on with a new baby too!

4. Jennifer says:

From what I understand from friends with older kids…one day you will be singing songs celebrating the going back to school days!

But yeah, today the Rugrat was telling me she was a big kid. She’s only three. EEK!

5. Charla says:

I can’t believe how fast time flies with babies. I’m trying to savour every minute with Claire (because she’s most likely our last), but time seems to be slipping. And don’t even get me started on Chase. He’s never looked so grown as the day I brought Claire home…I felt like I had ended his toddler years right then and there.

6. Cityslicker mom says:

It must be a little scary for a little kid to be “big”, my son says the same thing sometimes. Shoot, it’s scary for me to watch them become “big”!

7. sweatpantsmom says:

I feel your pain! The first day of kindergarten for both of my girls were hard days for me. Now, with them finishing up fourth and second grades, I’m wistful but more excited than anything else. It’s unbelievably gratifying to see them taking new steps, and the pride they’re showing in doing well. It gets easier. Hang in there.

8. mama_tulip says:

It’s such a bittersweet moment, isn’t it? I told Dave that I was considering Preschool for Julia and he said, “Are you going to stand outside the window and peer in the entire time she’s there?”

Um, yes…LOL…

Hang in there, Momma!

9. mothergoosemouse says:

It’s hard to predict what will spark an emotional reaction in us or them. Last night, Tacy wanted to know why I don’t live with my parents. When I explained that people move out on their own when they become adults, she began to cry and insisted that she wants to live with us forever. It’s a big scary world for kids, isn’t it?

I’m glad Caitlin’s move has gone relatively well so far. Has it reunited her with some of her friends who have moved up in the past few months? That’s always a plus.

I’ve been super emotional lately too. wtf. Caitlin’s move up and not wanting to be big reminds me of something my uncle told me after my Dad passed… My Dad was large at his tender age of 7 or 8 and one day as he was walking with his own Mom a woman walked up and said, ‘My, arent you a big boy!’ and my Dad replied, ‘I’m only big on the outside.’

Out of the mouths of babes.

Well…the adjustment has not been bad at all. Her teacher told me today that she’s been “bragging” about being in the big classroom. Thankfully there are other kids in the room that she knows and one of her buddies moved up with her so that helped! Now if I can just adjust. 😉