Nightmare On Sesame Street

Actual conversation from the other morning. Because you can’t make this stuff up.

Caitlin: Mommy, Elmo’s scary to me.

Me: He’s scaring you?

Caitlin: Yeah.

Me: What’s scary about Elmo, baby?

Caitlin: His eyes. His eyes are scary to me mommy.

Presenting giant googly plastic eyeball Elmo:

And then we have the severed head of Elmo purse hanging on one of her bed posts:

The motley bedroom crew also inclues “When Hair Extensions Go Wrong” generic Barbie (seen here trying to choke Cinderella Barbie in a jealous rage):

No wonder the poor kid sometimes wakes up crying in the night.

1. Nancy says:

LOLOLOLOL!!

Mimi has an Oscar the Grouch purse like Caitlin’s Elmo one. One night she made me take him out of her room because he was “looking at her.” Those muppets are cute, but they can be scary.

LOVE the fighting Barbie/Cinderella. I could totally see that happening in our house too.

2. sweatpantsmom says:

Gawd, I knew those Barbies got into bitchfights when we’re all asleep at night.

I have a picture of myself when I was around 3, sitting on a bed surrounded by stuffed animals, all of which were missing their eyes. My mom said that one day I had a meltdown, insisted they were all ‘staring’ at me, and proceeded to pull off all of their eyes.

Sweet!

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

I’m definitely more scared of the Barbies than the Elmos.

My mother-in-law is an artist, and painted Smokey the Bear for our son’s room. Then his friend convinced him that the bear moved at night and we had to put the painting in the guest room.

4. Trisha says:

Hey man – I had a Raggedy (sp?) Ann and Andy room when I was a kid. That shit is really scary. And how about clowns? I don’t know a kid that likes clowns.

5. Lucinda says:

Oh I wish, wish, wish Elmo was scaring my baby- because all she wants me to do is wear the Elmo hand puppet and talk to all her dolls in the Elmo voice. And it is getting very, very annoying…

6. mothergoosemouse says:

Tacy received that same Cinderella doll as a birthday present!

The Barbies at our house have been doing naked gymnastics. You think I’m kidding?

We have severed-head-of-Elmo slippers too. They live in the closet.

7. Kristen says:

HAHAHA!! Quinn has a HUGE Elmo in his bed – I mean it’s like twice the size of him. I guess it’s his bodyguard, because he’s never realized that he really SHOULD be afraid of it.