Our Little Rocker

Caitlin has a new favorite song and it doesn’t involve the hokey pokey or scoopin’ up field mice and boppin’ them on the head. She’s in love with “Who Says You Can’t Go Home,” the duet between Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles and Bon Jovi. The hubby downloaded Sugarland’s album and burned it onto a CD and he and Caitlin listened to it in the car all weekend. Typically her musical taste leans toward the Wiggles, which is the one and only concert she’s been to. This first hint at her liking mama and daddy music was one of those moments that’s not easily pegged for scrapbooking (Do they make “My First Air Guitar Session” stickers?) but is something I don’t want to forget. As soon as they got home Sunday from an afternoon at the children’s science museum she wanted to see the video. We found it online and Caitlin had to watch it over and over and over again with our computer speakers cranked. She danced and sang her heart out.

When she was still small enough to eat meals in the highchair, I would sometimes play bluegrass for her and she’d go crazy. She also loved to jam to Sweet Home Alabama. When she was 2 we captured her on video running back and forth as fast as she could to U2’s Vertigo. And during this year’s Super Bowl halftime, she was completely mesmerized by Mick Jagger. We do live in Music City USA so maybe she has a future on stage. Bon Jovi’s Never Say Goodbye was the theme for our prom in 1987 and nearly two decades later my 3-year-old is listening to them. I’m just glad she doesn’t know what big hair is.

1. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

Hehehe…your daughter has some good taste! I LOVE that song, too….oh, and all the stuff Bon Jovi did in the 80’s too.

Pattie:

I love it, too, although after she’s insisted on listening to it about 50 times it gets a bit…uh…old. 🙂

Jamie

3. Amanda says:

Hi
    I am a mother of 2 small girls. I just wanted you to know that I love your website. I found it from Mrs.Flinger. I have laughed a lot. You have a great sense of humor.

Keep writing- your rock

Amanda

4. Emily says:

Jack likes some Foo Fighters and Weezer tunes, which really makes Mama proud in an odd way. Once Jerry Lee Lewis’s “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” came on and he LOVED it.

Oh, and our local town channel (it’s just announcements for what’s going on in the community) plays bluegrass in the background, and he thinks it’s great.

I can’t wait until he’s singing like Caitlin – too cute. And as many musical instruments as we have around the house – he’d better pick something up!

5. nancy says:

Wow, your daughter has quite the nice body for a preschooler! 😉

Mimi loves Sheryl Crow’s song “Soak Up the Sun” and Three Dog Night’s “Joy to the World” (she calls it the “fishes in the deep blue sea” song).

6. sweatpantsmom says:

Awwww…sweet.

I remember my daughters’ first foray into ‘real’ music was Michelle Branch. I still remember us all singing ‘All You Wanted’ together in the car.

7. Jennifer says:

LOL! My husband loves to sing the bunny foo foo song to her. She loves all music though, espscially the hard stuff.

8. Jamie says:

Trisha: I LOVE Sheryl Crow. I saw her live a while back (pre Lance Armstrong days) and she was incredible! It’s fun to listen to “our” music with our kids.