Super Caitlin

Super Caitlin

Originally uploaded by blondemom.

Caitlin and I went to the mall Sunday for a 3-year-old girl’s equivalent of the quest for the retail Holy Grail… the search for the perfect Dora sandals. The hubby mentioned a few weeks ago that he’d seen some at the mall shoe store. (As a side note, our mall is one step away from becoming Nashville’s largest fireworks stand, or so it seems as even Old Navy and Victoria’s Secret…we’re talking stalwart pillars of suburban mall life…have closed.) After the obligatory escalator ride, we headed straight to the shoe store which has an actual name so generic that it might as well be The Mall Shoe Store. I quickly scanned the children’s shoes and to my dismay there were no Dora sandals. I rounded the corner to the clearance aisle still hopeful, but only found some white dress shoes and a few random pairs of boots leftover from winter. “Caitlin, sweetie, they don’t have any Dora sandals, but look at these. These have BUTTERFLIES.” I was using my sunshine mommy voice in hopes that I’d tempt her as I had really talked up the Dora sandals like an idiot. She would have none of it. Only super cool explorer Dora could adorn her feet. So we headed to Sears, which, sadly, is the only other store in the mall that sells children’s shoes. We hit a shopping brick wall at Sears, too. Thankfully Caitlin is easily amused at the mall and I distracted her with another escalator ride. We walked past the first shoe store we’d hit and I had that shopper’s intuition that somewhere, somehow in the aisles of the store there was the perfect pair of sandals and that we’d just missed them the first time. Plus I really didn’t feel like driving to Target or the other upscale, bustling local mall which makes ours look like a giant flea market. Caitlin agreed, somewhat reluctantly, and I wrestled on to her feet a cute pair of pink and green sandals while she hitched her sundress up and stuck her hand down the back of her Sleeping Beauty underwear while yelling “MY BOMMON HURTS MAMA!” So much for looking like a little lady. Any way, I called it a loss because they were too loose, but as we were leaving I scoped out the clearance section once again and there they were…a pair of sporty pink and purple Nike sandals on the top shelf marked down to $15.98! I still had my shopping mojo! Like Cinderella’s glass slippers they molded to her little feet perfectly and, more importantly, she loved them. I told her they were great for running on the playground and she was so excited about her new sandals she wore them home. Fast forward a few hours later and I was pushing her in the stroller at dusk while the hubby was home with Amelia, who had zonked out early for the night. About half way into our 1 mile walk Caitlin climbed out of the stroller and started jogging beside me in her little pink and green sundress, pumping her arms, blonde hair flying, and saying, “I faster mommy! I super girl mommy! I faster!” And darn if she didn’t jog the half mile back to our house.

1. Nancy says:

Oh, I remember the search for the elusive Dora sandals. It took forever to find some Mimi’s size because every child in the DC metro area apparently wanted Dora sandals. Not fun!

2. Trisha says:

One of the biggest fits I have ever seen from my child was in a shoe store! I need to get some of your shopping mojo and learn your mommy sunshine voice. (d)

3. jag says:

Every time you post a picture of Super Girl Caitlin I am amazed at how much she looks like the hubby.

The zen of new shoes. Aaaaaahhhhhhh.

Nancy, so far so good on Caitlin’s love for the Nike sandals, despite them NOT having cool Dora on them.

Trisha, the sunshine mommy voice was me playing the desperate card.

JAG, oh yeah Caitlin looks JUST LIKE the hubby.

Renee, I only wish a new pair of shoes gave me that much energy! 🙂

5. bridgermama says:

Goooooo Caitlin! Most wee ones would pitch a huge fit over the lack of Dora (or any other character of the moment). I am catching a whiff of some excellent parenting…

6. Charla says:

Ok…I MUST find these shoes…then maybe I’ll have the energy to get off my butt and do a little running.

She’s just adorable!

7. mama_tulip says:

LOL, love the pic!!

I’ve learned the hard way not to talk *anything* up unless I can guarantee it’ll happen, LOL. I’ve been burned so many times doing that! I’m glad you found sandals that she likes!

8. EmilyRoseJewel says:

What a quest that was. I know the days will come when I will go all out to find the one thing my child wants, right now he is 9 mos. old and content with whatever. Good story and cute picture!

9. lynfh says:

We found the sandals at Target. What is it with the Dora shoes?? And we get comments about them. “Ooh Dora sandals. How fun.” My 3 yr old grins and I roll my eyes. Soon it will be the reverse.

10. Nicole says:

I hate that freaking mall. And the uppity one down the way. Gah!

But the super girl is adorable! Congratulations on your success! Maybe you can bottle some of that energy up and sell it? I’ll pay good money.

11. Jennifer says:

LOL! I never mention what kind of shoes we are getting. If we get Dora ones, thats just a bonus. This time around she got Tinker Bell sandles and Dora runners, so it was a good day. Do you have a Walmart? They tend to have a ton of kids brands there.

Jennifer: You would think I would know better. 🙂 I was at the Walmart near my house Friday with the baby and bought her the CUTEST white sandals with daisies on them. They are beyond cute. I keep meaning to take a picture of her fat little feet in them. But in Caitlin’s sizes there wasn’t anything to choose from that I liked.

oh mah gah I love this story. The whole bommon hurting thing…Lily says the same thing with a paw thrust back there. It’s great. Especially in public. I love it. Speaking of dora sandals, I just got Lily some blinky dora sandals at the Kohl’s dept. store. Do they have those where you live? I think I paid 11 clams.

14. mrsmogul says:

Awww I can’t wait to get shoes for my little tyke. I LIKE THE TERM “SHOPPING MOJO”, I gotta get back into that!

15. Jill Butler says:

Ohhh, all I hear about all the time at our house from my daughter is Dora this and Dora that. She watches Dora over and over again. She even has nick named all of us in our house a character from Dora. She of course is Dora, I am Boots, my husband is Swiper the Fox and our little eight month-old boy is Benny the Bull. You gotta love Dora.

16. Cityslicker mom says:

isn’t it funny how a 3 yr old is so changeable? they can be so dead set for something and then *poof* they see something else and have forgotten about what they initially wanted. Been there!

17. mom-with-toys says:

stay with something relaxing and a good leather, good brand-name: I buy adidas for my 2-years baby. are a little bit expensive, but my doctor told are the best for his un-shapped feet. anyway, I am in gemany and i have no idea about the sandals you are talking about, but I think this helps 🙂

18. AliceIacuzzo says:

I will be a mother several months later.Besides children’s favor, choosing a pair that is helpful for their growing feet will be much more significant. Your post is the same interesting with cute pictures.