Monday Musings

I just looked in my compact mirror and realized I applied mascara on my right eye only. I guess I’m a wee bit distracted in the mornings trying to get the girls and myself ready with everyone dressed and accounted for. My biggest fear is that I’m going to make it all the way to the office one day and realize Amelia is still strapped in her high chair. Caitlin is trying to master her tricycle and was practicing her bike skills on our back patio all the while screaming “Mommy HELP ME!” over and over this morning while I was putting on makeup and yelling out the window, “Get in here Caitlin. We are getting ready to leave!” You can put the country girl in the suburbs, but she’s still going to use the low-tech intercom system with the kids.

The hubby e-mailed me at 10 to say he’d run home (his office is less than a miile from our house) to put some chicken in the crockpot with queso and beer…makes really yummy Mexican fare… and our dog was on the couch, watching Dora. I’m not sure if I’d had the TV on earlier and had hit the Tivo pause button or what, but our dog was watching Nick Jr. If there are Pringles crumbs on the couch and she’s watching Oprah when I get home today I’m so rigging a hidden doggy cam.

You know you live in the south when you get behind a trailer hauling goats on the way to work.

Amelia is still not walking at 13 months, but she loves to wave and smile so maybe she’s just perfecting her beauty queen routine.

1. Charla says:

Why walk when you can ride…

Totally LMAO re: the goat trailer
    AND dog watching Dora. If the dog is eating pringles and watching Oprah, I’m doing something wrong.

I also have a fear of forgetting Claire. She’s so quiet, you know. Just file that in my Mom of the Year application.

2. Kristen says:

Okay, that crock pot dish sounds awesome. Actually, just the queso and beer sound awesome.

And my younger didn’t walk until 15 months – I was so worried about it at the time, but now I’m thinking I should have been grateful for those extra few months without the kids ganging up on us and running through the house screaming, like they do now!

3. R*belle says:

Oh, she needs to meet Bella. I love, love, love the beauty queen wave. Seriously, how far do I have to drive to hang out with you and Charla?

4. Colleen says:

Delaney is 13 months old today and not walking either. She loves to crawl and cruise, but hate it if we try to hold her hands and entice her to walk. She crumples to the floor and starts crying so we gave that up pretty quickly. Guess they do it when they’re good and ready.

I think Kristen’s got the right idea. I’m going to appreciate the fact that she’s not walking yet. I can barely keep up with her these days now that’s she’s perfected her crawl and can get anywhere in seconds!

5. Renee says:

I love the ‘goats on the trailer’ comment. Welcome to my world too.
    And that Mexican dish sounds great!

6. J's Mommy says:

My daughter didn’t start walking until 14 months. Coincidentally, that’s when she started sleeping through the night.

7. mama_tulip says:

Julia didn’t walk until she was about 16.5 months. She walked on her knees for *months*…she had these giant brown callouses on her knees from walking around on them.

8. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

OK, I am moving to the South in two months. Please don’t scare me like that. 🙂
    At least your dog has good taste….she lives a better life than me!
    BTW: mexican fare is my favorite…can I come over for dinner?

9. Trisha says:

You should have hit the pause button one the three year old repeating “MOMMY HELP ME!” I swear I am changing my name. I know why they don’t yell “DADDY HELP ME!” I yell that all the time and there is just no reaction or “Huh?”

10. sweatpantsmom says:

My oldest daughter didn’t walk until she was almost 16 months. All those things you’ve heard about late walkers being better readers? It’s so true – she was reading before kindergarten. Enjoy the crawling!

Thanks guys for making me feel better about Amelia not walking. I don’t know why I’m worried at all since Caitlin (my oldest) didn’t walk until right at 13 months. But she crawled much later than Amelia. Today Amelia was standing up quite a bit on her own and digging her fat toes into the carpet so I know it won’t be long and then I’ll be running after two wild children! 🙂

Here is the queso/chicken “recipe.” My husband, AKA master chef at our house and bartender, made it up. Put a couple of lean chicken breasts in a slow cooker or crockpot on low. Then add a half a beer…we used a bottle of Cabana, which I think is a Corona knockoff. Then he added about a half of a jar of queso. You do need to keep it on low and then pull the chicken apart after about 5 or 6 hours. Then in the evening you drain the “juice” and add a bit more queso. It makes great chicken burrito stuffing. Just add guacamole/sour cream/salsa. It’s easy, too.

13. Petite Mommy says:

My now 21 month old son started walking around 12 months and 2 weeks so I am sure everything is fine there.

The dog watching dora and eating pringles is too funny! LOL..

I’ll be back…

14. Mrs. Flinger says:

HAHAHAHAHHA. HAHAHAHHA. I luff you to no end. LUFF.

Damn, those are all things I’d SO TOTALLy do. And speak to me more about that beer chicken thing.