Mommy’s Mental Health Day

Do you ever have days when you feel overwhelmed, yet bored? Busy, yet restless? Do you feel like a little manic hamster on speed? I recently took a rare personal day off from work, or mental health day as I like to call it. Typically I take vacation days for family trips or during the holidays. But with the beautiful warm weather we’ve been having I was itching to just take a day off with no particular agenda in mind. I dropped the girls off at daycare and spent some time preparing for a consignment sale, which, unfortunately did not pay off so well even though I pricked my finger 9 million times safety pinning index cards to baby clothes that I just knew people would be unable to resist buying, but that’s another story. (I ended up giving someone a big bag of the girls’ hand me downs and it felt great to know they were going to good use.) The hubby and I had a leisurely lunch sans sippy cups and high chairs at a “dive” where the pickup trucks and Harleys are parked next to the soccer mom minivans and SUVs (I inhaled a shrimp po boy, fries and a Mike’s Hard Lemonade…there goes the diet). We went for a long walk with the dogs who nearly wagged their tails off because they weren’t sharing their mommy and daddy with two squealing girls. I even took a nap. Here I sit a few weeks later making a mental to do list and feeling torn between different responsibilities and obligations. I want to spend more time with the hubby, but the times we go on bona fide dates are not as often as we’d like. I want to spend more time playing with the girls, but I can’t relax if the kitchen is an Ecoli hot zone. I want to be the best parent I can be, but not ignore the fact that life is more than being mommy 24/7. I love my girls, but sometimes they can drive me nuts. This life slash mother slash wife slash work gig is harder to balance than I’d ever imagined. Many days I feel like a jumbled mass of contradictions. I’ve always been a perfectionist and now life is not always so perfect, ya know? Kids don’t always sleep like little angels all night or eat their veggies and sometimes mommy forgets to say bedtime prayers with them and yells too much. I’m trying to work on the balancing act, without the act itself feeling like just another “job” on my neverending mental to-do list.

So, have you taken a mental health day lately? I know of a couple of blogging friends who could use one.

1. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

Hi Jamie,
    Boy, do I hear you on this one….the hamster on speed on a wheel thing..it is SOOOO hard to balance mommy hat plus wife hat plus work hat plus friend hat plus blah blah blah….all the other stuff we as women have to juggle.
    For the record, I think it is great that you and your husband took a break to make time for each other and have lunch…alone…and a cocktail…sans children!!! Just making the effort to reconnect both together and for yourself without the children will be beneficial for them in the long run! Keep it up…it is good for the “mommy soul”…

2. Shauna says:

I think your day off was a great idea. Like Pattie said, it’s even good for the girls. I really don’t know if I’m capable of balancing mamahood with a job — I have great admiration for those who do.

3. Bluegrass Mama says:

I haven’t worked full-time in the nearly 21 years I’ve been a mother and I don’t really know how anyone does it. Good luck finding a balance–and keep scheduling those dates!

Luckily I have cut back to working 4 days a week (and was fortunate enough to work from home until late Jan). That way I have 3 day weekends every weekend and that makes a huge difference! And I’ve already got my mother-in-law lined up to watch the girls next month while we go to dinner to celebrate our anniversary. 🙂

5. Helene says:

No not recently… however funny you should ask, cause I just cleared my calendar this morning in the event of doing just so this Friday 🙂

6. Charla says:

Not counting maternity leave (because that is NOT a break), no, I have not had my needed mental health day. I am sooo envious of yours, though!

7. MomWise says:

Holy shit – are you me?

When I am at work I feel guilty that I am not achieving my full potential. When I am at home I feel that I am neglecting my husband and kids.

Working and being the mom and wife is very challenging. Find yourself a good housekeeper. I have one that comes every two weeks. I figure as long as I am working I deserve that. Now I don’t clean I just have to pick up.

8. Nancy says:

Oh, mental health days are a critical survival strategy for me. Sometimes I just get so burned out being at work 40 hours a week and working on home stuff the rest of the time (in between other necessities like sleeping and eating) that I just need a day to myself. It’s so invigorating and helps me to be a better mom and worker!

9. mama_tulip says:

Do you feel like a little manic hamster on speed?

Yes, I do. LOL. We should both take personal days!!

10. J's Mommy says:

I wish I could take a mental health day but hubby doesn’t always oblige. yesterday i asked him to take our daughter to her gym class so that I could get an hour to myself and he flat out refused. no real reason other than, he would feel uncomfortable. doh!!

11. Mari says:

I think you know that YES, I have those days. I have occasionally done something…shhhh…to ensure I have a mental health day. I have to pay for full-time daycare at our Montessori, despite the fact that I don’t normally work on Mondays and only work part of the day on Tuesdays. I have been known to send her on a Monday. But actually, I haven’t done that for a mental health day, now that I think about it. I’ve used it to get things done, like packing for a move or doctors’ appointments. Maybe someday soon I’ll use a Monday for myself.

12. Petite Mommy says:

I think we are all going through that balancing “thing”. I am going to attempt to homeschool my five year old this coming August and I also already work from home and keep my 21 month old at home.

Good luck to you and I’m glad you got a mental healthy day. I think I need one soon..no maybe tomorow..lol…