Feel the Burn

I work with several women who are extremely athletic. We’re talking marathons and triathlons, not lamely breaking out one bead of sweat while the kids use mommy as a human trampoline while she squeezes her buns in unison with Denise Austin on TV. We have a set marketing meeting on Monday mornings where we have the typical water cooler chit chat as we gather round the conference room table. You know, what we did over the weekend, how great (or horrible) the weather was, etcetera, only the women jocks typically talk about the 4-mile bike ride and 13-mile run they knocked out all before noon on Saturday or the new kick ass spin class at the Y. These are women who are hard-core about their daily workouts and consider sweating in buckets and feeling the burn as integral a part of their daily routine as brushing their teeth. (They also don’t have kids….I’m just sayin’.)

The hubby and I just ate jumbo burritos at Moe’s for lunch, followed by a 30-minute walk outdoors. I forgot my good walking tennis shoes today so I had to walk in my little black sandals for 30 minutes. Now that’s endurance training people. I may actually have to put on a bandaid.

1. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

Boy, even before I had kids, I was not one for marathon running!Geez…I’d much rather eat! 🙂

2. mama_tulip says:

Are there cartoon characters on the bandaid? LOL. I love it when I go to get a bandaid and the only kind I can find have Dora and Benny the Bull on them.

3. Kristen says:

My sister-in-law runs half marathons and works out all the time, and amazingly she has three kids. BUT, she spent years in the same boat we’re in, and it took her a LONG time to get to this point – because she chose to put the time and effort in. Me? I’d rather expend energy popping open a bottle of wine and lifting my feet high enough to rest them on the coffee table. But I do admire my sister-in-law’s will power.

4. sweatpantsmom says:

I’m in the same boat as you. And I say those amazon water-cooler babes got nothin’ on you.

Next time, when they’re all blowing about their 50 mile treks through the Himalayas, whip out one of those burritos and devour it in thirty seconds. They’ll stand up and take notice.

Poor lil black sandaled feet. 🙁 I am laughing my ass off at the notion of a burrito eatin’ triathalon tho. Back in the day my boss used to say “Eat right, exercise, die anyway.”

Very true! My dad says “everything in moderation.” We did eat salads for dinner last night. Of course, I devoured five marshmallow Peeps in about 20 seconds later that night….(must throw them away before I eat them ALL)

I hope to rejoin the Y this fall when we get a new one in our neighborhood. I admire the runners, I’m just doing good to walk at lunch. 🙂

7. Nancy says:

I always feel much better when I actually sit down for a meal with the skinny, athletic types I know. They’re picking at their salad and yogurt and sipping water while I am chowing down on a big steak and drinking a margarita. I might not live as long, but my life will be fun!

(course I’m starting my diet again today…)

8. Renee says:

I’m never gonna be one of ‘those women’. I like to eat the jumbo burrito and then . . take a nap!