Just Call Her Pebbles

I was signing Caitlin into daycare Tuesday and her teacher asked if Caitlin had told me what happened the day before. I was in a caffeine withdrawal/low-sugar stupor but that got my attention. “No, what happened?” I asked, instantly turning into CONCERNED ATTENTIVE MOMMY although I know my daughter all too well and I figured it was probably something comical. Apparently my sweet precious angel had smuggled a small pebble from the playground and then skillfully wedged it in her left nostril at nap time, just for grins. Luckily she found it none too comfy and she told her teacher who kept her cool and skillfully avoided a trip to the ER by handing Caitlin a tissue and asking her to blow her nose. The pebble emerged from it’s dank, dark home lickety split. Her teacher had even wrapped the evidence in plastic (it was clean, thank you) and put it in a plastic baggie so she could show me. Caitlin has a thing for rocks. She had just collected a few small ones Sunday during a trip to the park with the hubby and then turned all HGTV on me and insisted on adding the rocks to the bottom of her fish’s tank. She loves to collect rocks, but the inserting a souvenir pebble up the nose is a new trick and hopefully one she will never do again. Whew.

1. Nancy says:

Yeah, I’m with you — loving rocks is one thing, sticking them in the nose is quite another. 😉

Looking forward to your meme!!

2. R*belle says:

I had a friend put one of those hard beans in her earwhen we were using them in first grade. I will never forget it! She had to go to the doc and have it removed and it caused an infection, ha!

i will never understand the hiding of things in one’s orifices. Lily has done the same with a penny between her butt cheeks, a little neighbor girl put a huge bead up her nose that had to be removed with tweezers in the ER…is it the joy of losing something and then finding it again? Incidentally, glad C’s teacher was a fast thinker. I am adding that one to my memory banks.

4. Charla says:

It must be a 3 y.o. thing…around the week before Thanksgiving, my son put a cheese cracker (one of those cheez-it grips) up his nose during lunch at pre-school. I had to go up there because he would not blow it out. I knew it would prob. just soften and slide down (gross), but the ped. still told me to take him to the ER to make sure it didn’t get sucked into his sinus cavity. What DRAMA! Then, over Christmas break, he swallowed one of those metal marbles from a “magnetix” set. I was in a panic on that one, but evidently it “came out” later (I didn’t do the poop check to see).
    So remind me why I’m doing this all over again with a second child?

5. Mrs. Flinger says:

Oh, no, I’m IN for it! LB already puts cherios in her ears (yes, her EARS) and she’s only 15 months. If it’s a 3 y.o. thing, I’m scarreewweeedd.

Glad the rock came out no prob.

6. Jamie says:

I would have so panicked if this had happened when I was with her. I am secretly happy she was at “school” and her teacher isn’t a flakey freakout gal like moi.