The Young and the Mostly Restless

I love my girls with all my heart and soul, but there are times when they wear on the delicate fabric of my nerves and I want to get in my car with no particular destination in mind and listen to AC/DC and drive with the windows rolled down and smoke a cigarette (and I don’t even smoke). Then I feel guilty because they wear on my nerves.

Last week was a bit more guilt-laden as I started going back into the office and the baby started daycare with big sister. I had a marvelous hour-long lunch break last Tuesday ALL BY MYSELF LIKE A BIG GIRL running errands only to see every flawlessly cute and well-accessorized stay-at-home mom within a 50-mile radius out shopping with her adorable spit-up free baby (no stay at home mom I know looks that pulled together at 11:30 a.m. on a weekday…who are these women?) A co-worker and fellow mom reminded me that our office is located in the SAHM capital of our fair city, a boutique suburb where the average per household income is definitely in the Lexus end of the spectrum. But I enjoy working. I am proud of my career. I enjoy interacting with adults and completing projects that have absolutely nada to do with my kids. I am also proud to be a mom and I treasure the weekends with my family. The hubby usually works Saturdays until 4 which means I am home with both girls all day and I am home with the baby all day on Fridays. In the spring and summer we spend lots of time outside, but winter is a different story when runny noses and freezing temperatures often mean we are homebound. I then find myself COUNTING THE NANOSECONDS until the hubby gets home. It’s at those times when my finest parenting moments fall by the wayside. You want to watch Dora help the blue cow with the nose ring again? GO AHEAD. You want another animal cracker with a side of marshmallows? KNOCK YOURSELF OUT. You want to drag every stuffed animal and doll you own into the den? HOW INVENTIVE.

Saturday at 3:30, t-minus 30 minutes until the close of hubby’s work day, the baby was whiney, clingy and fighting a nap with every corpuscle of her tubby 10-month-old body. She was also on day 3 of a bad cold. Big sister then dropped her pants and announced, “Oh Mommy, I’ve got a little diarrhea.”

It was at that point I instant messaged the hubby on my laptop:

“Hey! (Upbeat, but not too upbeat.)

“We’re getting a little cabin feverish here.” I punctuated it with a goofy smiley face emoticon to temper the desperation.

Translation: Please hurry home before I go loony and bring a bottle of wine.

1. Nancy says:

You are singing my song. Glad to know that I am not alone here. (p.s. — I never noticed that Benny had a nose ring — hahahahaha!)

2. Jamie says:

I must have been hallucinating because we’re watching Dora now (both girls are sick today) and I don’t see the nose ring! He didn’t seem like the nose ring type but I swear I saw it! 🙂

3. Dianne says:

Having lunch ALL BY MYSELF is one of the biggest perks to being a working mom.

My fondest memory is of a beautiful spring day when I decided to take my US magazine (disguised by a cover of Business Week, of course) and head to the park for an hour of serenity.

While gazing over pictures of Ashton and Demi, a mom shows up with two little boys. As I watch her play with them I start to miss my kids. Ten minutes later, one kid threw sand in the other kid’s mouth and he threw up all over her! My reality was restored.

4. Bluegrass Mama says:

Those put-together SAHMs probably all have nannies or au pairs. As a long-time SAHM, I have yet to figure out how to look “put-together.” Could explain my reluctance to re-enter the full-time workforce, no?

5. R*belle says:

Birds of a feather, I tell ya! That post felt like one I could have written myself. I just think it is good to identify our personality types and work with it instead of forcing ourselves to be something we are not. If we did that, we wouldnt’t be good mamas anyway!

6. Mrs. Flinger says:

I was coming to link to you because my current post is pretty much this.

Minus a kid and plus a whole lotta martini.

Oh my god, hon. I think you’re my new best friend.

I always feel the most guilt after the girls are asleep at night. I look down at the angelic perfection and cannot believe they ever made me crazy. This passes once I wake in the morning to their respective shrieking, complaining, bedwetting, vomiting, or befouled diaper.

8. Kristen says:

Yep, very similar experiences over here… love the weekends, but sometimes I just need the time to myself, too!

9. Beverlee says:

Parenting young children definitely smacks of the “greener grass” syndrome. Life “on the outside” looks heavenly when you’re in the middle of it. But when you start getting out, you miss everything about them. Enjoy all of it!

10. lynfh says:

Yep. I feel your pain. I feel your love.
    Great post. — WFHM (work from home mom) with 3 pre-school kids.

11. Emily says:

I’ve been meaning to comment for days – loved this! Totally understand. I remember last time I was sick I was like “Sure, watch Playhouse Disney all morning, just let me lay on the couch”!

Oh, and those put-together SAHM’s – you know they’ve got nannies. There’s a neighbor of my parents that has a nanny come 3-5 days during the week so she can have her “me-time” and go shopping, do lunch… I remember Jack played with her daughter once, and there were others there, and one said to me “I don’t know how you stay home with your child by yourself”. It’s just that south-of-town philosophy, I guess. Sure, it’s hard being a SAHM, and I have my days, but I stayed at home so no one else would have to raise our child…

12. Rebecca says:

Hi there, I just saw your blog and thought you might be interested in a new program that really helps put babies to sleep. I work for a company who has developed a product called sounds for silence, and that is exactly what happens when you practice this technique with your baby. It truly is amazing! Basically, Sounds for Silence is a program that was developed by a pediatrician with over 25 years of experience and is apart of a technique known as SMS. SMS is simply a combination of security (swaddling your baby), movement (engaging your baby in repetitive movements) and sounds (rhythmic, consistent and low frequency noises). In fact, we