One great thing about spring travel soccer...indoor heated pool at the hotel!
I’ve been at this soccer mom thing for a while. It starts out all cute with matchy matchy hair bows and then one day you’re more concerned about preventing injuries than committing a fashion faux pas or forgetting to bring the team juice boxes.
Miss C started playing soccer when she was 4 and now plays on a U12 travel team. We have logged many an hour on the sidelines. If I had a quarter for every time I’ve yelled, “Do you have your cleats?,” “Do you have your water bottle,?” or “Do you know what field you’re on?” over the years I’d be able to charter a bus to our next travel tournament, complete with a margarita fountain…you know, for the parents.
Our spring season just kicked off so I thought I’d share some truths about spring soccer in the South, where the weather changes as often as Miley Cyrus sticks out her tongue.
- There will be mud, oh yes there will be mud.
- Opening season tournaments that boast the words “thaw” “unfreeze” or “spring” in their title will neither thaw you out or make you think of spring.
- Your kids will sweat just as much as they do in summer soccer, but there will be more mud to mix with it.
- White uniforms? Yeah, good luck with that.
- Get yourself some rain boots, cute ones if you’re really Southern. Oh and a parka. There’s nothing remotely cute about a parka but they come in handy.
- One weekend you’ll be wearing flip flops, the next weekend you’ll be wearing long underwear.
- It doesn’t matter if it’s spring, summer, or fall, 8 a.m. games are painful.
- Pack sunscreen AND handwarmers. You’ll never have enough.
- Bring lots of blankets, for warmth and cutting down on screen glare for bored younger siblings, and a flask for you. Just kidding…ok not really.
- You can never have enough coffee. One of these days Starbucks is going to figure out how to send in coffee drones to soaked and chilled to the bone soccer parents.
Do your kids play spring soccer?
I participated in an Influencer Program on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for OshKosh B’gosh. I received a gift card to facilitate my shopping trip with my daughter and to thank me for participating.
My third grader, Miss A, gets lots of great hand me downs from big sister but let’s face it, sometimes it’s nice to have a brand spankin’ new outfit! Miss A very much looked forward to our recent special spring shopping excursion at Opry Mills Mall here in Nashville to visit the OshKosh B’gosh store and check out all the new spring arrivals.
I loved all the navy and green and yellow orange shades and denim which suited her perfectly, since she’s not necessarily a girly girl. All the spring items also pair well together, which is great when your child wants to mix and match it up on their own!
I tend to think of OshKosh as a brand for baby girls clothes (their adorable overall shorts are a classic), but with sizes up to 12 for both boys and girls there were tons of cute spring outfits to choose from.
My 8-year-old and I sat down and browsed the spring clothing line on OshKosh B’gosh’s website before hitting the mall and she immediately picked out a few items. As soon as we got to the store, Miss A gravitated toward the denim and she quickly filled her bag with about 8 items to try on, including two pairs of fun springy shoes.
Someone had a great time striking a pose…
OshKosh B’gosh currently has an amazing sale going on right now as well as a great coupon offer and although I left mine at home (see coupon below), the sales clerk kindly gave me her employee discount. You can also save with online promo code SAVEON30.
I was, frankly, blown away by what we were able to purchase on a $100 budget. We brought home TWO tops, polka dot crop skinnies, a white denim jacket (super versatile for spring), white slip on crochet shoes, PLUS several hair accessories which were on sale and which my 11-year-old daughter can also use (ponytail holders, headbands), and some fun clearance bracelets all for just under $100 total, including tax! I never pay full price for clothes for myself or my girls so I was thrilled to get new seasonal items at such a great bargain. They also had an incredible clearance section with items such as girls tees for just $6.
Here’s a fun Polyvore board I created featuring the polka dot pattern twill pants we bought in a pale pink shade.
- OshKosh B’gosh website: http://www.oshkosh.com/
- OshKosh B’gosh store locater: http://www.oshkosh.com/find-a-store?id=oshkosh
Do you shop at OshKosh B’gosh? They also have a school uniform section, perfect for all us school-age kid mamas.