I’ve been at this soccer mom thing for a while. It starts out all cute with matchy matchy hair bows and then one day you’re more concerned about preventing injuries than committing a fashion faux pas or forgetting to bring the team juice boxes.
Miss C started playing soccer when she was 4 and now plays on a U12 travel team. We have logged many an hour on the sidelines. If I had a quarter for every time I’ve yelled, “Do you have your cleats?,” “Do you have your water bottle,?” or “Do you know what field you’re on?” over the years I’d be able to charter a bus to our next travel tournament, complete with a margarita fountain…you know, for the parents.
Our spring season just kicked off so I thought I’d share some truths about spring soccer in the South, where the weather changes as often as Miley Cyrus sticks out her tongue.
- There will be mud, oh yes there will be mud.
- Opening season tournaments that boast the words “thaw” “unfreeze” or “spring” in their title will neither thaw you out or make you think of spring.
- Your kids will sweat just as much as they do in summer soccer, but there will be more mud to mix with it.
- White uniforms? Yeah, good luck with that.
- Get yourself some rain boots, cute ones if you’re really Southern. Oh and a parka. There’s nothing remotely cute about a parka but they come in handy.
- One weekend you’ll be wearing flip flops, the next weekend you’ll be wearing long underwear.
- It doesn’t matter if it’s spring, summer, or fall, 8 a.m. games are painful.
- Pack sunscreen AND handwarmers. You’ll never have enough.
- Bring lots of blankets, for warmth and cutting down on screen glare for bored younger siblings, and a flask for you. Just kidding…ok not really.
- You can never have enough coffee. One of these days Starbucks is going to figure out how to send in coffee drones to soaked and chilled to the bone soccer parents.
Do your kids play spring soccer?
Latest posts by Blonde Mom (see all)
- 5 Easy Changes for a Better You - July 30, 2014
- First Day of School Breakfast Idea: Upside Down French Toast Bake - July 28, 2014
- British Summer Looks From Joules - July 25, 2014