Good Night Sweet Girl, Not Goodbye

Bailey in 2000 at Warner Park at her prime.

(1997-2011)

Dear sweet girl:

Heaven will have lots of sunshine for lay-lay sun-sun, plenty of trails to explore just like you used to do for miles with Daddy, a swimming hole as shady and lovely as your favorite spot at the park, a lush green meadow to romp in, and treats for days.

You’ll be able to chase your tail again like a whirling dervish and play fetch and there will be a never ending supply of fresh tennis balls. You’ll no longer struggle to walk or hurt or be unable to jump or play.

We love you so much sweet girl.

Thank you for being with us through so many seasons of our life and our marriage over the past 13 years. You were our first baby. You were our first in-common experience with caring for and loving another being with all our hearts. I never knew it would be this difficult to let you go.

Today is a beautiful day and you spent your last seconds of life on the front porch in the spring sun.

We will never, ever forget you and your special place in our family.

In honor of our Bailey, please consider adopting a pet from your local shelter. We adopted Bailey in December 1997 from the Nashville Humane Association. She has given us a lifetime of love in 13 years.

1. Maggie C says:

That was so beautiful I am about to cry – I am sorry for your loss and pain. Thank you for mentioning adopting from a shelter – there are so many who need homes!

• Kalyn says:

Awww, Sandee, I love you. Thank you. That’s the best and most hetam-wrraing description of that photo I’ve ever heard. Your comment really made me smile. 🙂

2. Jamie says:

Thank you all. The girls are “ok” but we have prepared them all week for this. I came home from work and we had a mobile vet euthanize her at home in the sun on our front porch. It was very peaceful. I wasn’t sure I could handle being here but I am glad I came home.

We have been giving her extra love all week. Still, there is going to be a big void here for a while. We still have our Akita mix Jack.

This was a hard decision but her health was rapidly failing and she had lost total loss of her back legs.

She was a good, good girl.

3. Amy says:

I’m glad it was so peaceful. Such a beautiful day and I am sure she loved that you were both there with her. Love to you both. (that was beautifully written and now I am crying too!)

4. Kevin says:

Beautifully written, Jamie. I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. I know how hard it is to let go and I’m thinking of you guys.

5. Beth says:

Beautifully written. It made me cry. I think that being at home in the sunshine was more comfortable for Bailey than going to a vet and being frightened. I am so sorry for your loss.

6. Patti Reeves says:

Bailey was so fortunate to have been chosen by your family. She received and returned so much love and devotion every day of her life, especially the day of her death. She’ll be missed.

7. Jamie says:

We miss her terribly but it was the right thing to do today to let her go. She was in pain and her health was failing. It was a tough decision, but the right thing to do. She was peaceful and not afraid of the vet.

This has been really rough on me and my husband, especially. He picked her out at the shelter. We brought her home as a puppy and we let her go so she can be a puppy in heaven again.

8. Susan says:

What a beautiful tribute to your girl, Bailey. Makes me think of the pups I have lost and how much I miss them all, just having said good bye to my Frasier in November. Only time and God’s grace can help ease the pain, but when it is the right time, they trust us to do what is best. But it is so difficult to let go. Love to you and your family. I hope Jack is okay in time too. They miss their buddies. These babies are angels in our lives. Again, you chose amazing words. Blessings.

9. Luke says:

Oh how cute little bailey we have there.. The post you have here touched my heart so deeply. Dogs are still the Man’s best pal. Cheer up! Bailey will live forever in your heart.

10. Cate says:

Sorry for your loss and grieving with you. Bailey was a beautiful girl, and I know she loves you still from those green fields beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

11. Cheryl says:

Thinking of you and your family Jamie. We had the exact same situation about a year and a half ago. As usual, you were able to articulate the feelings so eloquently. We have a new dog now, but I still miss my Winnie.

12. Brad Mabry says:

Jamie, Alan, Caitlin, Amelia, and Jack ….. I’m so happy that Bailey was able to spend the past 13 years with you guys and receive all that never ending love. I loved Bailey too and sure will miss that little big-eared, turnfoot pup. I love all you all too.

13. Jamie says:

Brad and everyone thank you again. She was a unique girl and I bet we never have another turnfoot puppy like her! She was one of a kind. Jack is really missing his sister. We’re going to focus a lot of love and attention on him this weekend. I came home from work today and he was right by her spot that she had been sleeping yesterday morning. I think he his looking for her.

14. Katie says:

Oh Jamie, I am so sorry for you and your family’s loss. Losing a pet is so hard as they truly become part of the family. I’ll keep you all in my thoughts. ((Big hugs))

P.S.
    Your letter to Bailey was really beautiful—you totally made me teary eyed & I never, ever cry!!

15. StyleBlueprint says:

I’m so sorry. We put our humane society cat, 20 year old, down in Sept and I still am sad. We did adopt two kittens from there a couple months ago though. Adopted pets are the best….

Liza

16. Magnolia Mom says:

So sorry to hear of the loss of such a sweet companion. We went through that last year and it is so rough. You don’t realize what how much they’re apart of your life until they are gone.

17. Jonson says:

Oh I love dogs. They were so loyal. They were so gentle that my kids use to play with them. It is really hard to say goodbye to your old best pal. :’(

18. Amanda says:

Hi Jaimie,
    I know it has been a while. I came back to read your blog because I missed it. I am sorry to hear about Bailey. I am praying for you and that the hurt lessens.

I will be reading more and checking in. I hope you are doing better.

Take Care,
    Amanda

19. Ann Marie Deer Owens says:

I remember when you got Bailey and this makes me feel very sad. Pugsly is a very special part of my family and he just celebrated his 10th birthday. Time goes by way too fast!