10 Things To Love About Going Into The Office

Fridays are my work from home days for my day job. I work part time as an editor and social media coordinator for a business publishing company and although I love working in yoga pants and flip flops and a t-shirt I also enjoy going into the office. I did the work from home thing when Miss A was a baby and although it was very important for me to be able to do that, I also realized it’s good for me to go into the office occasionally (see also mama goes stir crazy).

Here are 10 things that I love about going into my office:

My morning commute radio time where I can listen to whatever I darn well please without hearing, “Mom can we hear 92 point blah blah blah? Mom can you change it to 107 point yadda yadda yadda? Mom, mom CHANGE IT BACK! I love that song!” every 10 seconds.

No small people walking in on me in the bathroom while I try to a.) pee b.) brush my hair or c.) make sure I don’t have lipstick on my teeth.

Adult conversation that doesn’t center around scheduling soccer practice, car pool changes, or which grocery store has chicken breasts on sale.

Motivation to push beyond my weekend fashion laziness (t-shirt and khaki shorts or capris in the summer or t-shirt and jeans or yoga pants in the fall and winter) and actually wear decent clothing.

The lovely quiet. Oh the sweet, precious quiet.

My office door! My very own door! With a shiny silver door knob and hinges and stuff!

A huge window where I can keep an eye out on the weather and witness the occasional kamikaze bird.

Stashing chewing gum in my desk drawer without worrying that I’ll discover empty wrappers the next day because my girls like to chew the sweet out and move on to the next stick of gum with reckless abandon.

Internet that has never witnessed Club Penguin, Nick Jr., or Barbie.com.

Post It Notes that are MINE ALL MINE minions! (See also highlighter pens and colored paper clips.)

Are you a working mom? Do you prefer working from home or in an office or, like me, do you like the flexibility of being able to do both?

1. The Parsonage Family says:

I thought I wanted to work from home, but maternity leave was enough to disabuse me of that notion. I can’t focus fully on either work or child, so I just end up feeling guilty about both. Working in the office enables me to be at work when I’m at work, and at home when I’m home. It’s good.

2. Kristie says:

I go into the office one day a week, and it is a lovely thing! I love being at home with my girls, but I also love having a day to be in my own office and work without interruptions.

3. Jennifer says:

I don’t have that flexibility, but I wish I did. I can definitely see bonuses to being at home, like being able to change out a load of laundry or start dinner. But it is really, really nice to go to the office where it is quiet.

4. Susan says:

When I first brought the little bundle of joy home, I had no idea how I was going to go back to work after maternity leave. How could I leave him with anyone? It was tough, but I was glad to get back into the swing of things at work after maternity leave. We were fortunate to find an amazing preschool facility, so I don’t even really worry about him during the day. I have a feeling that if I worked at home, I’d be too distracted by all of the things that need done – laundry, cleaning, painting, organizing, etc… – that I wouldn’t work. Plus being able to have adult conversations that include profanity gasp from time to time is nice. And I’m with you on the bathroom thing. Privacy is lacking at our house too. 🙂

5. Jamie says:

Thanks everyone for the input! I know I could also not work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday in an office ever again. I like working more flexible hours and being able to pick up my girls from school. It would be tough, to me any way, to work all the time from home, ...not to mention we have a 13-year-old Corgi/German Shepherd mix who goes INSANE if I get a delivery. I do occasional phone interviews for work and you know how professional it is when it sounds like a trailer park with your crazy old dog barking in the background! 😉 If I ever were to do freelance social media/writing full time from home I think I’d have to venture out with my laptop and work from a local coffee shop with Wifi just to get out!

6. Jennifer says:

I own a business, so all my work is from home. A few times a year I take the business out of town to trade shows to get more wholesale customers, or like this year I’m heading out of town for a large event on two weekends. I’ll get to stay in a hotel, all by myself!

But, those are long 16 hour days or so, and usually consist of coming back to the hotel, flopping into bed or getting on the computer to make notes or do additional work.

I do get much more work done when the youngest isn’t at home, she is in preschool three mornings per week right now. I’m looking forward to next year when she is in school all day, and I’ll be able to try and squash my work day into the day, not have work scattered throughout. there are far too many evenings where I’m in the workshop after bedtime getting caught up.

7. Coma Girl says:

Of course I read this the day after my last day of work. And now I’ll miss it.

Well I left because we’re moving out of state in 2 weeks. I did enjoy going into the office and ordering lunch instead of snacking on PB&J at home.

8. audit checklist iso 9001 says:

Admiring the time and energy you put into your website and in depth information you provide. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material. Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

9. fred borge says:

Wassap PeopleRegister to become a member of the Victoria BC Social club covering all of Vancouver Island! Interact with others, and peep Victoria BC restaurants in the Victoriachef Sectionand Nightclubs,Pubs,and bars with upcoming events in our Social One! section. Post Blogs in our Blog! section and live chat with members.

10. Marlo Vansant says:

Hey not to go off topic but can anyone give me overview of. New York Car Insurance Reform 295 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10007 (646) 351-0824 They are down the block from me. I was wondering if they were a good insurance company. I need to find coverage, it is regulations you know, but I have to have a good price price plus I want friendly service.