Dust Off The Spanx, Mama’s Goin’ To Beverly Hills

I’m going to Beverly Hills later this month for Variety magazine’s Power of Women luncheon and when reality began to sink in that I am, indeed, going to Beverly Hills later this month, a plight that has daunted women for centuries began haunting the depths of my soul…

WHAT IN GOD’S NAME WILL I WEAR?

I fretted about this because I don’t have a huge shopping budget no stinkin’ money, and then I remembered that I have a brand new dress hanging in my closet from my recent New York trip. Yes, it still had the tags on it. It was fate, also known as I bought the dress on final clearance, forgot about it, and can’t return it.

I know…this post is beginning to sound like I am a big jet setter.

I promise, I am not. I don’t even have a passport.

Any way, the dress code is a cross between business formal and daytime cocktail, you know the usual thing I wear during the day. NOT.

I won’t be on the red carpet (but Jodi Grundig from Mom’s Favorite Stuff and Kari Aceto from A Giveway Addicted Mommy will be…congrats ladies!), but I still want to look my best. You never know when you might run into Don Draper, I mean Jon Hamm.

I think this will be perfect.

So the next question is how to accessorize, which is a word of action and one my 8-year-old and 5-year-old girls apparently became familiar with while in the womb. Seriously, my older daughter has more purses than I do.

Dr. Baby Mama Drama, a local Nashville blogger with great style, heard my plea on Twitter and put together a fabulous PolyVore set to inspire me.

If you’ve never heard of PolyVore, it’s like paper dolls for grown women ya’ll. It’s awesome, especially if you love to window shop online (and can fill up your shopping cart like nobody’s business and then end up not buying anything.) Not that I would ever do that. Cough.

So what do you think? The nail polish color is definitely not me, I am just way too conservative. (She also suggested silver, which I love.) I love the silver cuff bracelet and the black clutch. I’d like to be able to pull off shoes like these but I’m afraid I’d break my leg, or perhaps both legs. Still, I love these. I’d like to find black and teal pumps, and I like her suggestion to find shoes in a matte finish, since the bodice of my dress is all sequiny and bling blinged out. I actually have a pair of dressy matte black heels that I can pack. I hadn’t thought about adding a wide belt, either.

Do you ever go “shopping” in your own closet? What would you wear to a Beverly Hills luncheon?

p.s. I’m definitely excited about possibly seeing Katie Holmes, Natalie Portman, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, and Jennifer Garner later this month! Yeah yeah I live in Nashville, but I don’t mingle with the stars. Ever.

1. Mary says:

You are obviously going to need a cindy weekend tote. I got mine today and am in loooooooooooooove!! Seriously…it’s that nice!

I hope ya’ll can see the photos. For some reason the Polyvore set is not showing up on the direct link. Hmmm when in doubt, hit my header and hit refresh!

3. amie says:

I love the belt idea and matte shoes. What would I wear? A hospital gown bc I’d probably have a heart attack worrying about what to wear. Have fun!

4. Jennifer says:

I saw on some website or something today that Cobalt is really in for fall so that is pretty much a perfect color to take with you. And I think the accessories look good, but I might go with some dangly earrings.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..My favorite post =-.

5. DrDrama says:

Thanks for letting me dress you up. It is so much fun to work with stuff that I didn’t buy for myself and to take in mind other people’s taste. I think the nail polish was more my tastethan yours, but I think a nice nude colored nail polish would be great with it as well! Have fun!

Lisa, I love vintage handbags. I bet yours are gorgeous!

I have two really neat ones from the early 1970s that were my moms. She still had them stored in the original store boxes. They came from a nice ladies shop here in Nashville.

7. Michele Baratta says:

I think you will look fantastic! Matte chose for sure! And since your bodice is very sparkly you should probably make your accessory statement with earrings, bracelet and bag….no necklace. That’s just my thoughts…
    I’ve had my share of celeb events and the key is to just be yourself! The funny thing is that you will realize once you get comfortable that all the celebrities are “Human”. They will chat about thier kids and husbands and all the stuff we all deal with like not having enought time for themselves.
    Have a blast! 🙂

8. Kaye says:

Oh, you will look great! I know what you mean about never dressing up, seems I never really dress up. But, did break one of my rules for the last trip and bought ruffles! A very cute ruffled top along with some blingy accessories. Found it all really cheap at the local Cato’s, of all places.

Most of all – be comfy (as much as you can in glitter and heals) and have fun.
    .-= Kaye´s last blog ..Just us =-.

9. jimmy says:

I love the dress lil sis !
    I know you will have a good time in Beverly Hills – tell Natalie P. I said “hey”

10. sydney irs says:

So I figured my first article would be about the ways you
    can hook up your computer to your television for use as a monitor or to do other things such as gaming or streaming Netflix.
    Defraggler – is an program which is totally various from
    the defragging alternative in Windows. There are a lot of macro recorders, so you should use the one that is best for your needs.