The Mysterious Unsolved Mystery Of Our Lack Of Mysteries

My oldest daughter is obsessed with mysteries.

We’re not talking your ordinary variety kid love of Scooby Doo, either. We’re talking O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D. I’m not sure where that personality trait comes from…ahem.

And, just an observation, ”What exactly are they SMOKIN’ in the Mystery Machine?”

She loves to watch Roxy Hunter on DVD, the few we’ve been able to locate, a modern day Nancy Drew. She loves reading mysteries and nearly skipped with joy into the library yesterday when I told her that the Three Investigators books the gracious librarian had recommended to her were available for pick up.

At least once a week I catch her looking off into space quite melancholy, a look she also gets when her hair is not quite perfect.

“Mommy, I REALLY want to solve a mystery. Why can’t I have more mystery in my life? I need to solve some mysteries!”

This is always punctuated with a huge, exaggerated sigh, and much angst which tends to freak me out because I realize the angst potential for the teen years is HUGE. HUGE people.

One thing we’ve reiterated to her is that you don’t find mystery, it finds you, which is great because it encourages her to turn off the dang TV already and read or go exploring outside.

I’m also loving this because honestly it’s a mystery to ME how she can watch the Suite Life of Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana over and over every afternoon without fail.

Are your kids obsessed with any particular types of books? We’re also big on fairies at our house. Miss C’s 3rd grade teacher has stressed the importance of our kids finding the books that they love and how that will translate into developing life-long readers.

Disclosure: Amazon affiliate link included in post.

1. Emily says:

Jackson LOVES the Magic Tree House books. He loves the research guides too and is obsessed with the Titanic right now. He also loves Scooby Doo but hasn’t gotten into any mystery books yet.

2. Jennifer says:

I was just like her when I was that age. And actually I still kind of am. I love a good mystery. Maybe that’s why I became an Auditor. A way for a nerd to ferret out the truth. 🙂
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Ruined =-.

3. Michelle says:

LOL…that story about your daughter was ver funny.

My 4 year old gets obssessed with any book about animals. Her dad got her a picture book on sharks, of all things, and I had to hide it…lol.

4. Candace says:

My daughter sounds just like her daughter! She is pre-teen now but she used to love mysteries too. She has solved every single Nancy Drew computer game in a relatively short period of time. She has been obsessed with vampire books lately.

5. Dina says:

My daughter loves mysteries also…of course it started with Scooby Doo and progressed to Nancy Drew. She’s not a big fan of reading though unless it is the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series at this point in time! Over the summer they always have required reading from school, I can’t get Ariel to finish any of the books they’ve chosen. I don’t understand why children can’t chose an age appropriate book of choice. I can tell you, a lot of children would read more if they could chose the type of genre they like!
    .-= Dina´s last blog ..caribbean pork and black bean stew =-.

6. Todd says:

Our 10-year-old went through the Bailey Street Kids and Magic Tree House books and Harry Potter. Now she’s into Carl Hiaasen’s novels for young adults, which is great, but she’s the kind of kid who’ll search out other titles by the same author. It’s gonna be fun making sure she doesn’t accidentally read any of Hiaasen’s other books!
    .-= Todd´s last blog ..Should I have eaten the goat =-.

7. Deanna says:

I remember being the same way – devouring mysteries and wishing one would fall into my lap – I went thru all the Nancy Drew books, and found another series recently called “Trixie Belden” that I think I would have enjoyed as a kid – I find them at thrift stores a lot!
    .-= Deanna´s last blog ..I

8. lifeinapinkfibro says:

Just back from hols, and just blogged about this today! The universal appeal of mysteries. We’re all Famous Five and Zac Power at the moment, but I just know there’ll be more. Am only sorry that, with two boys, Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden are unlikely to get another run around here.
    .-= lifeinapinkfibro´s last blog ..Its all mystery from here =-.

9. Jill says:

How awesome that she is into mysteries! And it makes it better that she balances it out with a love for shows such as “suite life”. I think you have a well rounded kid on your hands. . .and those are pretty hard to come by these days!
    .-= Jill´s last blog ..2 More Buttons =-.