When Pigs Fly, Or Naomi Judd’s Buffalo Roam The Streets

It’s been a bizarre week in Nashville.

Country singer Naomi Judd’s buffalo got loose during the weekend flood and roamed the streets of picturesque Leipers Fork.

The beautiful Opryland Hotel as well as many downtown landmarks were flooded with muddy water from the Cumberland River, not throngs of fans or tourists.

A portable school building floated down the interstate Saturday night.

A woman in a nearby subdivision delivered a baby at home Sunday afternoon via flashlight and the aid of neighbors.

It’s very surreal to me to drive into work as if all were “normal” when there is so much heartbreaking devastation. The city of Nashville has really rallied together, though, and I am proud to call Music City my home.

I’ve written about the great flood of 2010 over at Deep South Moms.

It’s pretty much all I, and anyone else here, can think of this week.

Again, Nashvillest.com has a good comprehensive list of ways to help.

Edited to add: You may contribute $10 to the Nashville Area Red Cross by texting 90999 on your cell phone. You may also call and make a donation by phone at 615-250-4300. If you would like to send a check, you can mail your contribution to the Nashville Area Red Cross, 2201 Charlotte Avenue, Nashville, TN 37203.

1. DrDrama says:

It is hard to believe the devastation, even when you are seeing it firsthand. Thanks for keeping people informed over at Deep South Moms! I am proud to be from here too!

We drove through River Plantation in Bellevue today and people had all of their belongings, from clothing to furniture to ripped up ruined carpet, on the front lawns drying out. It was just unbelievable how many people have been impacted.

3. Jennifer says:

I know what you mean. That happened here after both hurricanes (Rita and Ike). Soon you’ll be able to drive down the street and remember and forget at the same time. I promise.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..I need a makeover. =-.

4. amy2boys says:

My mom called to tell me about the buffalo. Only in Nashville!

Opryland Hotel pics are shocking, as are many I’ve seen of downtown. I looked out my office window Monday morning and saw the Cumberland River flowing along past the Country Music Hall of Fame!
    .-= amy2boys´s last blog ..Of Apples and Raindrops =-.

5. Amy says:

I am so glad you are safe and I am so sorry to hear about this happening so close to your home. Thinking and praying for Nashville!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Amy

EG, yes I saw those amazing (and horrific) pictures earlier today. I have been reading all I can about the flood after not having Internet or TV Sunday or Monday at my house. I couldn’t believe the coverage once we got reconnected to the real world. We live in one of the hardest hits communities in Nashville, west of downtown. Miss C and I walked tonight down to our baseball fields that flooded. The girls’ soccer field complex was under 20 feet of water so they are not sure when they will resume play. It really blows my mind about Opryland and Opry Mills flooding, too!!

7. Katie says:

Wow, roaming buffalo! That’s crazy!!

I truly am so sorry to hear about all of the devastation your state is experiencing. It’s so scary & sad, but I am keeping you all in my thoughts & prayers.

I just made a donation and it wasn’t a lot, but it was what I could afford. However, hopefully if everyone contributes then it will make a big difference. 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Water Ban Lift =-.

8. Oliver Benzer says:

Hey not to go off topic but can anyone give me overview of. New York Car Insurance Reform 295 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10007 (646) 351-0824 They can be down the block from me. I was wondering if they were a good insurance company. I need to get hold of coverage, it is regulations you know, but I have to have a good price price plus I’d prefer friendly service.

9. ทัวร์ญี่ปุ่น says:

You really make it appear really easy along with your
    presentation but I find this topic to be really one thing which
    I think I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely large for me.
    I am taking a look forward to your next put up, I’ll try to
    get the cling of it!