Bosch Bloggers: They Made Us Cook Our Own Lunch, But It Was Worth It

My husband wants to know if it’s normal to pile little mountains of clean laundry on to various surfaces around the house. My favorite holding area is a loveseat in our front study slash dining room area. I want to know if anyone actually ever washes and dries laundry, folds it immediately, and then puts it away, neatly folded like out of a magazine? If you do, tell me your SECRET.

I wish I had a laundry fairy, but it’s one of those things that piles up, literally, and we can’t walk around naked so it seems like I am doing laundry at least every other day. And there are only four of us in our household. Of course, my 7 1/2 year old is into the “hey, I’m going to play my DS now so I need to change outfits” (for the third time in one afternoon) mode.

Around the end of March I received an e-mail invite for a blogger retreat in Scottsdale, Arizona, sponsored by Bosch Appliances. Something about laundry blah blah organization blah blah hamper blah blah organization tips (which I desperately need).

I clicked over to the Montelucia Resort & Spa website, the location for the retreat, and was blown away by how gorgeous it was. I’d only been to Arizona once when I was 5 months pregnant with Miss C and working at a banking conference sponsored by the company I work for so it was anything but a retreat. And the last big corporate blog type event I attended was in 2008—Johnson & Johnson’s Camp Baby.

We don’t own any Bosch appliances but I knew from a friend who just purchased a Bosch dishwasher that they are absolutely top-of-the line. Just remember, Bosch rhymes with posh.

We arrived Tuesday and on Wednesday toured the Bosch design gallery, a beautiful facility showcasing all their appliances. There was a lot of drooling over the kitchens.

One of the nicest things about this event was that it actually was a retreat. And even though we were learning about all the amazing things that Bosch does in the laundry room, we didn’t have a cram-packed schedule with tons of speakers. After a day at the Bosch gallery we headed back to the Montelucia and were treated at the spa.  At one point we were all waiting at the spa and lounging in our robes talking and sipping on tea and it seemed kind of Sex in the City, although it was more Spa in the Desert Meets Mommy Bloggers. I couldn’t even tell you the last time I had a massage, so that was heavenly.

I’ll be writing a post later about Bosch and some tips provided to us by a manager from The Container Store for whipping even the tiniest of laundry rooms into shape, but until then here are some photos from the breathtaking Montelucia, as well as from the Bosch design gallery. Pictures don’t really do it justice.

Disclosure: My airfare, meals, and accommodations as part of the Bosch blogger retreat were paid for by Bosch, but the opinions and words in this post are all mine.

This was the amazing view from my balcony. I did not even dip a toe into that pool so I’ve GOT to go back now. GOT TO and I’m taking my husband with me.

Bosch From Hamper To Hanger Bloggers: Elizabeth from Traded my BMW For a Minivan; Sarah Kimmel from The Organized Mom and Tech4Mommies (I had virtually met Sarah about two years ago so it was very cool to finally meet her in person); Sugar Jones from Sugar in the Raw; Jocelyn from Hip Mamas Place, Jennifer from The Dirty Shirt; me and my white legs; Katie from La Jolla Mom; Linda from Peachhead Families; Shanna from My Favorite Everything; Julie from Angry Julie Monday; Jennifer from Tiny Oranges; and Caryn from Rockin’ Mama.

Resort entrance

Making lunch in one of the state-of-the art Bosch kitchens.

If you give a mommy blogger free license to make a complete mess as part of a laundry experiment, well…she’ll go a little crazy.

1. Jennifer says:

Yeah, laundry is a major issue with me too. I have no trouble collecting it, putting it on to wash and dry (I like to line dry, but then I’m just asking for rain).

The only trick I have to get it put away, is to dump it on my bed. There are days when I shove it to the end of the bed and crash, but otherwise, I fold it and at least store it at the end of the bed while the kids are falling asleep (saves me from running back down the hall chasing the 3 year old back to bed, when instead I can be standing outside her room giving her the evil eye when she opens the door).

When Glen is home, he LOVES to fold it. He puts on his Ipod and goes to town. He’s weird.

2. rowena___. says:

how cool! i’m so glad you got to do this!

i follow the flylady system: start and finish one load a day. my routine is a little different from hers in that i start a load after dinner, put it in the dryer after breakfast, then fold it while watching sandra lee make a hot mess of a meal.

3. Mary @ The Writer's Block says:

The next time you see me, I’ll be GREEN. Green with envy, girlfriend What a beautiful place and what an awesome treat for you Love it.

As for laundry? My NEMESIS. Most of the time, I try to “watch” back episodes of The Bold and Beautiful online while I fold. That’s the only thing that keeps me going.

So glad you got to have a retreat. 😉
    .-= Mary @ The Writer’s Block´s last blog ..5 Years With Twins =-.

4. Stacia says:

Typing away on the laptop surrounded by huge laundry piles?? Um, how did you know? Also, love that you got a massage … and got to make a huge mess. Fun times!
    .-= Stacia´s last blog ..A Mother

5. Betty C says:

I am sooo envious! It sounds like you had so much fun. Now to get all those tips so I can start being organized (I don’t think it’s ever going to happen).

6. Kaye says:

I can’t wait to read more. You know I am how I feel about Bosch. I only have one, so I excited to learn more of what you loved. So glad you had a chance to relax, that had to be the best part.
    .-= Kaye´s last blog ..Rainy Gift =-.

7. Kathy says:

What a beautiful place – you were so lucky to be invited! Bosch appliances are supposedly great – I have a friend who has one of their dishwashers. When I remodeled my kitchen last year I looked at one . . . but it was out of my budget!

When they invent a dryer that can fold and put the laundry away . . . I will buy one!

Have a good weekend!

8. Kathleen says:

We have the mountain range of laundry piles too! I seem to be able to get it washed and dried during the week, but that last step of putting it away is just too much sometimes 🙂 I try to find some good tv on the weekend and fold during the show and put it away during the commercials. (And since no one wants to help me, I don’t have competition for the tv!)
    .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..What’s with the Squeezers, Mom?! =-.

9. Alma McKinley says:

I’ve got nothing on laundry. I do the bed thing too, as was suggested above. It makes napping a bitch, on those days I just snuggle up with my son. I work fulltime out of the house, so it gets done as I’m walking in and out of the house, when about five or six clean loads have accumulated that’s when I put it away. Bosch and Arizona Spas ROCK Not necessarily in that order. I have stackable LG Steam washer/dryer, that I love. My dishwasher is Bosch and I love that too, can’t here a freakin’ thing.

10. Ellie says:

Your question about laundry made me laugh.

When I was a kid, we each had our own laundry bags, and we were to each (there were five of us) leave them downstairs before we left for school on Mondays. We did. And usually, by Friday, we’d get all our laundry back! My mom was way more into reading and goodness knows what else, to do our laundry in a day.

Then, one fall, my mom went to the Orient with my dad on business for three weeks. Her mom, Gramma Esther, came to stay with us. We brought our laundry down on Monday morning, and when we arrived home from school that afternoon, our beds were covered with ALL our clean clothes, neatly folded, to put away.

Isn’t that so weird????

11. jos says:

I am so (to infinity) envious. How wonderful and I’m sure you deserved it! How does one end up being invited to events for bloggers?

Also, I don’t have kids yet but I think as a busy mum of two littlies, you get to set the new normal. Besides, it’s not like the laundry is dirty. Piled artistically, they could become a new decor trend…hmmm (your husband would probably shake his head at this comment) 🙂

Can’t remember if I left a comment the first time I found your blog. Did so through someone else’s blog. Found that lady through Valerie Khoo, who directs the Sydney Writers’ Centre. She was my instructor for a feature article writing course. Anyway, enjoying the posts.

Thanks for sharing

12. Katie says:

Wow, that place looks amazing! I wouldn’t have wanted to come home. So happy you had a good time! 🙂

BTW, I am really bad about putting laundry away too. I will put my daughter’s away because it’s super easy & small so I just tuck it in the drawers and mine is fine because it all has it’s proper places. But the hubby’s is a different story—he has way too many clothes and no where to put them all so I have to cram it all in the drawers and closet. It’s a total PIA! Or maybe it’s just my subconscience getting sick of cleaning up after him?! Ha ha 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Stop & Shop Eco Friendly GC Winner =-.