I Smell A Rat, OK OK A Giant Mouse

Chuck E. Collage

Miss A having the time of her life!

We ventured bravely into that organized chaos known as Chuck E. Cheese this weekend to celebrate Miss A’s 5th birthday. The look on her face when we walked in was like a white haired grandmother who’d only dabbled in church basement bingo and bunko walking into the MGM Grand. She was blown away by the awesomeness of it all. I’ve mentioned this before, but we’ve never taken the girls to Chuck E. Cheese, although Miss C has been a few times with friends, and when I tell other parents this they look at me like I have a third glowing eyeball named Lady Gaga.

After the gift bag tissue was whisked away and our leftover pizza and chocolate cake was boxed up and the guests left, the four of us decided to stay until we’d spent our last gold Chuck E. coin because we are mad players like that. It was the like the Amazing Race to spend our coins. I Whac A Moled, rode in a jet ski race, and summoned my inner Jedi. Miss A was pretty content to go through the indoor playground maze over and over and over and periodically I would completely lose sight of her which is always comforting when one is in a room full of hundreds of kids but the security at Chuck E. Cheese is like Fort Knox. If Jack Bauer ever retires he could get a job there manning the super secret invisible ink hand stamping system at the door.

After an exhausting hour of video gaming we’d finally spent nearly all the coins. We walked up to the ticket dispenser as if it were our gateway to mecca. Miss C already had her eyes on several grand prizes that cost several thousands in tickets like a giant plush Chuck E. or a marshmallow shooter.

We got in line alongside a couple feeding tickets into the machine at an alarming rate. Clearly they were pros at this. And then I saw it. They had a grocery bag FULL of tickets. Thousands and thousands of tickets! There children were going to be set for life! Still, we were proud of our small stack of tickets. What were these people? Some kind of Chuck E. FREAKS? Had they been coming to Chuck E. Cheese every weekend for the 18 months? Did they need to undergo Chuck E. gamer rehab? I refused to look at them and their bag full of tickets, the ticket flaunters.

Finally the hubby threaded our last ticket into the machine and it spit out a claims ticket. We headed to the prize counter.

What did we have to show for our hour of intense gaming?

We left with a pack of Pop Rocks for each of the girls, a bracelet for Miss C, and a glow in the dark spinner for Miss A.

Obviously we were amateurs.

Hopefully we did not shame our children in the house of Chuck E.

As for the marshmallow shooter? I can probably find one for $4.99 on clearance at Big Lots.

1. WarsawMommy says:

Oh, fabulous!! I love the crown.

No CHuck E. Cheese in Poland; nothing even remotely approaching an equivalent. Hmmm. Maybe I see an investment opportunity?? I can open a huge play area with pizza and music for kids to run amock!

I’ll be rich. RICH, I say!

2. Jamie says:

She had an absolute blast. It was her first “big” birthday party. Last year the four of us just went to dinner at Red Robin and we had family over for cake. This is her last year at daycare, though, (kindergarten in the fall…OH MY) and she won’t see some of her buddies any more after this summer.

She also passed out in the car on the way home. Always a sign of a great party.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..I Smell A Rat, OK OK A Giant Mouse =-.

3. Katie says:

Ugh, I really hate that place! We made the mistake of taking Isabella a few months ago and now she’s obsessed w/ that giant rat! I can’t go to the Target plaza w/o her begging for it as she sees the awful neon sign taunting us.

Even in WDW she kept asking when she would see Chuck E. Cheese. Like seriously?! We’re in WDW and she wants that rat?!

The infestation of germs, the stale pizza, the screaming kids, and the loud blaring music from the games. God, I hate that place, but it’s so much fun for kids! Hee hee :)

Glad you and the kids had fun!
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Giveaway: LeSportsac Artist in Residence =-.

4. Stacia says:

Oh, I hope there was skee-ball … one of the only redeeming things about Chuck E. Cheese! (And the sparkly purple comb my son “won” with his tickets last time and occasionally chooses for bedtime over his stuffed mouse.)
    .-= Stacia´s last blog ..The Playroom Puzzle =-.

5. Gigi says:

How fun! My niece and nephew go crazy when we take them to Chuck-E-Cheese. To tell you the truth I don’t know who has more fun, the kids or my husband, LOL. Glad to see everyone had a fantastic time. You have beautiful girls.
    .-= Gigi´s last blog ..My Newest Finds…. =-.

6. Minivan Mama says:

We have a Fecalpalooza aka Chuck E. Cheese here in town. The Boy has no idea it exists. Every night I lay me down to sleep and ask God to keep it that way.

7. heidimom says:

you might appreciate the chuckecheese hell video on youtube about now; beware the snot-infused salad bar! Perfect place for a 5th birthday; good pick mom!

8. moonmommy says:

we were just there this weekend too…geez, the kids go crazy for that place. your little girl is so cute onstage. i just entered my son in this contest, cause he too is a little rockstar and thought your daughter might ham it up for the camera also. it was cute to make and the grand prize is a $1000…you could get a lot of tokens for that :)

9. Shelley says:

Ahhh…memories….my kids always loved having their b-day parties at Chuck E Cheese! I have a special needs, 5yo son, and this year will be his first b-day party with friends from school. We are definitely having it at Chuck E Cheese’s!! I think the kids will love it..I know my son really enjoys the ‘rides’ (the little cars that don’t go anywhere..LOL)!!

Glad to see you all had fun :)