The Big Chill

Harpeth Snowfall

Look really closely. See the tiny pink speck? That’s Miss C. And to the left you can see the hubby shooting some video. Miss A is somewhere to the left of me refusing to put on her hat.

Warner Park Snow

Yesterday afternoon after such riveting cabin fever inspired activities as Speed Toilet Cleaning! and Power Recliner Napping! and Marathon Phineas and Ferb Watching! and Precision Hot Chocolate Slurping! the hubby had a fantastic idea. We 4-wheeled it over to Edwin Warner Park to go for a crunchy snow walk. We ended up watching the girls sled, really sled, for the first time on the big hill that overlooks Steeplechase. There’s nothing quite as simultaneously fun and frightening as watching your children in their own luge competition.

We also shot some great video, although after the hubby handed the video camera over to me I somehow managed to film a good 20 minutes from the linty depths of my dad’s 1960s buffalo plaid Woolrich coat which I only sport when it’s truly cold. What can I say? I’m no Martin Scorcese.

It was a lovely way to end a rare snowy weekend here in Nashville.

p.s. I’ve got a great giveaway this week for a Sony Pocket Reader on my product review blog (speaking of cabin fever activities…this is an amazing device for all you bibliophiles. It’s like a portable electronic library! If you travel frequently and you love to read, this is something you must check out. And also? It comes in pink.)

1. EG says:

When you pointed out the pink spec I thought you were going to say, “That’s Miss C right before she fell in the pond.”

I was just thinking this morning that if I were a good mama I would own a sled. I will have to get one in an end-of-season sale for next winter. Because this winter is OVER. Right? Right?

2. Jamie says:

EG I m still laughing at your comment because you don’t know HOW MANY DAMN TIMES I thought to myself yesterday, “Someone is going to fall in the water.” I also had a few seconds of panic when they went careening down the snowy hill. My brother-in-law broke his collar bone years ago sledding. Good times at the ER!

Beth, I am SO ready for the snow to melt today. I can’t handle school being out for long and not being able to, oh I don’t know, DRIVE ANYWHERE! 😉

I told my husband yesterday it’s a good thing we don’t live in the North. I’d go insane.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..The Big Chill =-.

3. Drip says:

Wow. Cabin Fever and Phineas and Ferb? Sounds like you guys had fun. Nice pictures too. Question: Is that lake frozen? Seems a little too dark and murky. Givers me the creeps. lol.

4. Brigid Day says:

Love these shots! I feel like a slug because we’ve barely been out in four days. My little guy is fighting a cold and/or sinus deal, so I’m trying to get him well in time for Blissdom! Now I wish we had ventured out.
    .-= Brigid Day´s last blog ..lesson learned =-.

5. Unplanned Cooking says:

Love your pictures. We haven’t been out in the snow much as it’s been so cold here, but temps in the 20s are heading our way by the end of the week! Can’t wait to take the boys sledding.
    .-= Unplanned Cooking´s last blog ..Registration =-.

6. Melissa says:

We have snow here too. We played outside with our 15-month-old for about 20 minutes, and then she was ready to come back in- and I was fine with that! Come on spring! 🙂

7. Stacia says:

Miss A refusing to put her hat on … Sounds like she and Lollipop have been talking! Also, who are “Phineas and Ferb”? And can they save me from Elmo??
    .-= Stacia´s last blog ..What

8. Evan says:

What’s cool about Phineas and Ferb is that they can take Elmo any day! They teach children to actually learn stuff for themselves, unlike Elmo who tells children what to do!

9. Leslie says:

Wow! It looks like a winter wonderland. We got a lot for our area, too. I was too tired shoveling the driveway to play in it though, hehe. Sat inside and enjoyed it coming down.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Growing Pains… =-.

10. Heidi Bokor says:

I love these pictures. We too had a major storm in Virginia and I got some amazing photos of the snow….from the inside of my house that is! It was just too cold to go out and I could not even open my front screen door because the snow had piled up too high! Another storm on its way this weekend. It looks like you took some pics in a beautiful area. I love Nashville! Thanks for sharing.

11. Anne M. says:

Hi! Great photos, and I love your writing. A nice “journal” style to it.
    Just wanted to share about a Valentine’s Day, because it’s so difficult sometimes
    to find the right gift. So here’s an enduring Valentine’s Day gift for your sweetie! Customizable, personalizable framed photo-art prints. @ dyi.successories.com Hope you love them as much as I do! Thanks, Anne.

12. cwaltz says:

We have gotten 35.9 inches of snow (more than Boston or New York or even Chicago)and they are calling for another foot this weekend(at which point we’ll have more than Anchorage Alaska. How crazy is that? We like in the South for Pete’s sake)My kids are going stir crazy.

Christine

13. Eileen says:

Wow…what a GORGEOUS day you captured! I love the rainbow ray shooting from the right into the water. It took me a LONG time to see your little darlin’ “speck of pink”. I am SO hoping NEXT year I will be back outside for some pics and activity. Have been in bed for most of the past year PLUS and I miss EVEN the sharp and biting cold as it catches your breath.
    (I just bookmarked you…I really enjoy your writing style and content).

ejrichter60 at gmail dot com

14. Cori Westphal says:

I live in MN and so this picture is pretty normal to me. But I love that you can take something that I don’t really like, and turn it into a beautiful photo! I hate cold and snow but this is a beautiful shot!

15. Andres Solar says:

Just added your blog to my favorites. You’re a great writer! Do you write anywhere else besides the blog?