My Bologna Has A First Name, It’s C-R-A-Z-Y

Call me crazy, call me misguided, call me a Super Nanny for parenting advice, but apparently I often make the fatal error of asking my children what they want to eat for lunch.

Case in point on Sunday…

“Miss A what would you like for lunch?”

“I don’t know.”

“How ‘bout a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?” (Safe no fail as this is her perennial favorite.)

“Noooooo.”

“How ‘bout a peanut butter sandwich?” (Fail safe runner up.)

“Nooooo. I want bologna. I want a bologna sandwich.”

“Well we don’t have any bologna. You can have a peanut butter sandwich!”

“I want BOLOGNA! I want a bologna sandwich mommy! Go to the store and get me some bologna.”

“Nooooo. You don’t talk to mommy that way. We’re going to eat something that we have here at the house. Mommy can’t go to the store now. Come in here and I’ll make you a sandwich.” (Note to self: do not argue with a 4-year-old.)

“OK….”

Miss A sulks and then slowly scuffles into the kitchen, her head low. She is defeated.

And then she boldly proclaims…

“We NEED bologna in this house ALL THE TIME!”

Somewhere, someone has got to have this printed on a t-shirt.

1. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls says:

Oh too funny! I have similar conversations with Becca when it comes to lunchtime, since I also make that same fatal error on a daily basis with her. Along with peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter or bologna her other usual request is hot dogs, depending on her mood. And watch out if we just happen to be out of hot dog buns, lol! 😉

2. Evan says:

Hey, that’s an absolutely great idea for a shirt! Anyway, the greatest time for a parent to show his/her child that he/she cares is at that moment where the child feels she is denied something, or when the child feels defeated.

I agree with her when she says that a household needs bologna- all that protein isn’t served in beans or peanuts alone.

3. Eric says:

Nice retelling of the story. I can imagine just how true of a statement that must have been to her as she said it with all sincerity. Funny!

4. amie palenchar says:

LOL! We have these same sorts fo discussion at our house too. I thinki t was fine question!

5. Katie says:

OMG that is too funny! My hubby loves bologna too so I am sure he feels the same way as your daughter. LOL

I personally can’t stand it! Last night I was making my hubby’s lunch for today (bologna & cheese) and my daughter insisted on trying it for the 1st time so I gave her a little piece as she’s been living off of blueberries and cheese for the past few nights—she’s a picky little toddler at dinner! She took one bite and spit it out everywhere proclaiming YUCKY in this disgusted tone of voice—it was hysterical. She’s definitely her mother’s daughter! Hee hee 🙂
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Out of the Mouths of Babes =-.

6. Elle says:

When I was young I’d go on kicks, eating only a certain food for weeks. Once it was bologna and ketchup sandwiches. I feel your daughter’s anguish! When youg et a craving for that salty goodness, nothing else will satisfy! I think all of us have that inner 4 year old screaming inside, we just hide it better.

7. Luv2CUSmile says:

This is very cute, although scary. I’ll tell ya, as a mother to 5 when they start asking, ...errr demanding Baloney… they have arrived! LOL Truly a scary moment as a mother.
    I love it because it has been about 5 yrs since this has happened at my house… and until grandkids, never again. My 17 yr old still likes peanut butter and I better never run out as far as he is concerned. He sees it as, a “Man’s” snack now. LOL He is grown because he can “appreciate” peanut butter again! LOL

8. Johnny says:

It’s not just about food. Asking kids what they want in anything is always a fatal error and usually has a non-happy ending! 🙂

9. Mike@Laminate Flooring says:

As a parent it’s good to give the best for them but it must have a limitations because they may become spoiled brat (like my sister). Most of the kids now are very demanding of what they want to eat, to wear, to go and many more.. While they are still young we must break that kind of attitude.

10. Bingo Promotions says:

I genuinely liked reading through your post!. Quality material. I might advise you to come up with blogposts even more often.
    By doing this, having this kind of a worthy website I think you will probably rank higher in the search engines.

11. Allene Shimizu says:

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

12. Troubled adolescent says:

I’m submitting right here simply to let you realize that you just are undertaking a exceptional job by retaining us posted about this. Make sure you keep on submitting these sorts of high quality content articles as it is a unusual problem to track down as of late

Troubled adolescent

13. most powerful led flashlight says:

Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening. I appreciate
    you spending some time and effort to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and posting
    comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

14. lebensversicherung says:

I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog.
    Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems?

A few of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?

15. Candida says:

May I simply just say what a relief to find someone that truly understands what
    they’re discussing online. You certainly know how to bring a problem
    to light and make it important. More and more people really need to read this and understand this side
    of the story. I can’t believe you aren’t more popular because you
    surely possess the gift.