Silence Is Golden Unless It Involves A 4-Year-Old

It’s been a little over a month since our first ER visit with a child so I suppose Miss A is ripe for a new black eye, facial laceration, or some other general heart stoppage inducing moment.

A few weeks ago she was in her bedroom playing and it dawned on me suddenly that the sweet, pleasant silence meant she was SURELY UP TO NO GOOD.

I went in her room and found her puttering around, quite proud of the “ladder” she’d constructed by stacking a bed pillow, a small fuchsia pillow, and a small doll-size chair on top of a “>Dora chair. Apparently she was about to scale this ER moment waiting to happen make shift ladder so she could get a tiny silver baby’s first hair cut box on display on a small wooden shelf hanging up on the wall about 7 feet high.

Thankfully I walked in before she attempted to scale Mount OH SH*T and I talked to her about asking for mommy’s help the next time she needed to get something out of reach and told her she could have really hurt herself.

This seemed to sink in and she told me she was sorry.

Then last week I was putting laundry away and I walked in to see this in front of her closet. Definitely not as dangerous as the chair stacked on top of another chair on top of two pillows episode from a few weeks ago, but still. I detect a pattern. And not a good one.

Chair

I’m thinking I just need to put a step ladder in her bedroom and let her have at it. Either that or go ahead and remove any tempting objects from out of reach shelves and make her wear a bicycle helmet every time she’s left alone in her bedroom.

1. Tanna @ Complete Organizing Solutions says:

Silence is golden, nothing else gets the blood pumping quicker than the silence of a child. Hardly ever a good thing. 🙂 We have a small step stool in my daughter’s bedroom. It allows her to see on top of her dresser. She likes to put stuff up there and get it down. As far as the display items up there, she doesn’t really care about getting them down she just wants to see them. The step stool just has one step, this is working for us. I have one shelf I was concerned about so I took the little tempting things off. She is the third child and the most independent. She has a step stool in the kitchen and gets on the counter and gets a cup down if I am not fast enough! She just turned 3!

2. Bluegrass Mama says:

Reminds me of the time I found our then 2 year old son in the bathroom. Toilet seat down, with stepstool on top of it and the wastebasket upside down on top of that. His goal: my red nail polish in a cabinet over the toilet. I’ve partially blocked the memory, but I’m pretty sure he actually HAD climbed his own version of Mount OH SH*T and already had the nail polish in hand.
    .-= Bluegrass Mama´s last blog ..Caving In =-.

Last night she locked the bathroom door and I could hear her opening cabinets and drawers and I told her to unlock the door RIGHT NOW. She kept stalling and then finally opened it. When I asked her what she had been doing she opened the cabinet door underneath the sink and showed me how she’d used “that unstopper thing” in the potty to get the toilet paper unstuck. She’d apparently stopped up the toilet and then plunged it.

I’m surprised I don’t have gray hair.

4. Evan says:

Well, let’s look at the bright side: At least we know that our children are very creative and that they are very independent. Big headache though. Nice post.

5. Jennifer says:

I walked in my daughter’s room the other night to find the 19 month old ON TOP OF HER BED, which is like three and half feet off the floor. He had turned a basket over and crawled up there. Since then I’ve removed everything from the room that can be used as a “ladder.” Oh, and the night before that she pulled the dresser over on her (the four year old) trying to climb it to pick out a nightgown. I’m hoping they make it through the end of the year with no visits to the ER.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Today I’m thankful for… =-.

6. Unplanned Cooking says:

Yeah, our 4 y.o. has had stitches THREE times, and I swear I watch him. It’s amazing how much trouble they can get in when they’re quiet (well, in his case, he was very noisy :)!

7. Evan says:

Maybe we can also cushions on our floors so that whenever our children fall, they won’t suffer any internal bleeding. LOL.

8. Lentil says:

I remember doing stuff like that when I was a kid. ( And falling.) My one year old has already figured out how you can climb on A to get to B. I am NOT looking forward to ger increasing mobility!

9. Myhandbasket says:

Here’s a story I rarely share…but it’s fitting.
    My oldest daughter was four years old and as four year olds do, she cried and screamed a lot. I mean a LOT. So, like the boy who cries wolf, she eventually gets ignored. One morning she’d thrown her share of tantrums and my mother and I were enjoying a cup of coffee in the living room when she began to cry from the basement. We rolled our eyes, like every good mother does on occasion, and kept sipping. Well, several minutes went by and I gently sat my coffee down and irritated with having get up, I traipsed downstairs to the basement….where my precious child had toppled her dresser over on top of herself. All that showed from underneath the mound was her puffy, tear-coated face. The moral? Don’t cry over everything or eventually you’ll find yourself trapped under a dresser.
    😉
    .-= Myhandbasket´s last blog ..When Moose Play Hide-n-Seek =-.