Have Yourself A Very Unplugged Christmas

I’m slowly easing into the holiday spirit. I think it has something to do with the fact that I finally put the Halloween decorations in the attic yesterday.

I thought I’d post some fun nostalgic gift ideas for kids that all cost less than $20. Miss C is starting to join the “nothing less than anything that costs $100” Christmas wish list this year (damn you Nintendo Wii!) so perhaps I’m waxing nostalgic for a very practical reason…I need a pimp Santa.

For any of you with children ages 3 and under, please set the bar low the first few years at Christmas and don’t sweat spending tons of cash on gifts (that’s what grandparents are for!) because your kid will be quite happy playing with bags, boxes, and bows. You’ll thank me when they start school and want every electronic, overpriced toy known to man, like a $299 toy horse.

Any way, here are some fun gift ideas for kids that all have an old school feel to them.

This nostalgic Play-Doh canister would be a great gift and it’s only $14.99 right now at Toys R Us.

Play-Doh Nostalgic Cansiter

I really like the Land of Nod website and they have several great ideas for stocking stuffers like this classic kaleidoscope.

Kaleidoscope

I love Raggedy Ann (this one can be found at Cracker Barrel.)

Raggedy Ann

Two words…SEA MONKEYS (from Amazon.com.)

Sea MonkeysFisher-Price has a line of retro Little People toys at Toys R Us. I love this school!

Fisher Price Farm

Oh sock monkey how I love thee.

Sock Monkey

My favorite chrome dome—Wooly Willy!

Wooly Willy

Remember Mad Libs? There is also a Mad Libs iPhone app, be still my heart.

Mad  Libs

My girls both love stick horses. It’s nice to see them playing with something that doesn’t make noise or require batteries.

Stick horse

Three words: Sock Monkey Slippers!

Sock Monkey Slippers

Both Cracker Barrel and Tractor Supply (yes, Tractor Supply) are great places to shop for classic stocking stuffers, too.

Have I left anything off the list? Do you have any fun retro gift ideas for kids that are reasonably priced?

Disclosure: These are all my own suggestions, straight from my wee little blonde head (complete with the beginning of roots). I have linked to Amazon.com on a few of these items and I do have an Amazon affiliate account which I have made a whopping zero cents from just FYI.

1. tracey says:

Sock monkey SLIPPERS! Love them.

I am big on the clothing sale/resale shops this Christmas. My kids are going to learn what it’s like to have a “surprise” Christmas. i.e. “Who knows what we’ll get cuz Mom’s wallet is empty!”
    .-= tracey´s last blog ..Just Another Sunday Fluff Post =-.

2. Baby Changing Bags says:

Sea monkeys were a real hit with our kids previously, just don’t let them die!
    I think the playdoh is a great simple gift for younger children as its heaps of fun to get messy with, and your kid’s mind is improved by being more creative. I like it anyway 🙂
    Thanks for the update too! ..

3. amie palenchar says:

My kids always love slinkys & really giant drawing paper. Sometimes I get a roll of butcher paper – cover the kitchen table & let them have at it. On the other hand DO NOT buy the crazy horse toy – I am ashamed & reluctant to admit owing to twins & grandparents that we actually own two. Butterscotch(es) promptly joined the ranks of the other overpriced, 5 mins of fame toys. Plus they r huge and somewhat spooky- they respond to sound so they turn their heads in response to tv or pets . Have I mentioned before I have 5 pets? The horseys were very busy & our dogs and cats r terrified of them -LOL.

4. Katie says:

Thanks for all of the great and affordable gift ideas! Those really brought back childhood memories, especially the Sea Monkeys. I insisted that we bring my sea monkeys on a road trip from Boston to Florida when I was a kid—man, was that not a fun mess to clean up when we hit a giant bump! LOL
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..The Flu =-.

Thanks Leisa! I think it’s nice to remember that some of the best toys on the market cost less than $20, too.

6. julie says:

I love gifts like that…no Dora, no Spongebob. Just a cool toy you can use your imagination with. Of course if I give stuff like to my kids they look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears.

7. James says:

K’NEX has a great line of Sesame Street building sets all for about $20 or less, perfect for the little ones. I like toys that are constructive and educational. Also, after 40 years, Sesame Street is definitely nostalgic! I grew up with it, and I want my kids to as well.

K’NEX is also giving away ten sets of tickets to Sesame Place. All that is required to enter is an email address:

Love this blog, btw, keep up the good work!

8. Virginia says:

You can certainly see your skills in the work you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say
    how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

9. Josh says:

Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
    I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog
    platform as yours and I’m having problems finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

10. Maik says:

If some one needs to be updated with latest technologies then he
    must be pay a visit this web site and be up to date everyday.

11. seo says:

Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my web site thus i got here to return the want?.I am attempting to find issues to improve my website!I assume its adequate to use some of
    your concepts!!

12. tokyokawaiitube.com says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be
    delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the
    same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

13. Sabina says:

Out of interest, do you read any SEO bloggers? I can never find useful assistance
    on practical tasks
    I will definitely be coming back, its a nice site