Glue Stick Madness

I swore last weekend I wouldn’t step foot into a discount store or mall or convenience mart or kiosk during the sales tax free weekend.

Unable to resist the school supply spirit and the gleaming pristine displays of notebooks, I caved by Sunday afternoon, convinced I was missing out on some fabulous sale on No. 2 pencils. I dropped Miss A off at my mother’s house and Miss C and I headed into the fray, otherwise known as Wal-Mart on a Sunday afternoon in the blistering heat and sweating throngs of humanity all jostling for an available shopping cart.

I thought we’d hit the jackpot when we walked in and I spied the Holy Grail of school supplies: a large display of popular school supply items. Soon, however, our hopes were dashed. Miss C and I peered down into the cardboard bins that teased us with the promise of low prices. Half of the bins were empty, littered with crumpled candy wrappers and broken generic crayons. ONLY CRAYOLA WILL DO FOR MY LITTLE ANGEL!

Never fear, I reassured Miss C. We’ll head back to the regular school supply aisles. Surely the crayons and dry erase markers and special plastic folders would be there. Surely!

There were people clogging the school supply aisles like the liquor store on pay day. It was all I could do to wade through the crowd of women and children clutching dog-eared school supply lists. All the men within a 50-mile radius were apparently smart enough to stay home in their cool air-conditioned houses.

Miss C started to freak out when the dry erase markers on her list were nowhere to be found.

“Mommy what happens if we don’t have my special markers for first grade?,” her face dropping.

“Sweetheart, it’s OK. We’re going to Target!” We headed to the car with a bag containing two pairs of Fiskars brand scissors, a couple of packs of Crayola crayons, and colorful cap erasers I’d managed to scrounge from the aisles in hopes someone had given up and tossed their loot on to the wrong shelf. Miss C also scored a super cute pair of Disney Princess brown and pink sparkly mary janes. A quick detour to the shoe department was just what we needed after our harrowing experience in the school supply section.

We headed into Target, but alas it was more of the same retail song and dance. We did manage to get a few more items on her list, such as the highly coveted Elmer’s glue sticks, but we left without the specialty folders and drawing pad.

Next year I may give up my romantic notions of school supply shopping and write a check for the pre-assembled packet the PTA sells in May.

1. Amy says:

I get to do school supplies this weekend (and I’m willing to overpay and go to a quiet Office Max in B-wood).

My Sunday nightmare last week had to do with airlines, a worse fate than trying to find those elusive Pink Pearl erasers!

Amys last blog post..Dear Delta Airlines

2. Jennifer says:

Is it sad that I’m stressing because I HAVEN’T gotten a list of school supplies my eldest needs for Kindergarten? And DUDE, when does school start there? We still have 4 weeks!

Jennifers last blog post..

3. Holly Schwendiman says:

I hear ya! We went through nearly the same routine, found the big W to not have the glue sticks and specialty brand pencils, etc. Target did and I think we finished our list that way but what a mess! Speaking of woes, my son’s list this year was so long I was floored and that’s coming after the last three years of school “supply” lists. I see a bad trend forming here.

Hugs,
    Holly

Holly Schwendimans last blog post..Wordless Wednesday – First Day 2008

4. Pattie says:

I did that last year and swore never again. Ever. Never. And yet, I thought I was missing out this year when our tax free weekend came around, until your story reminded me why I am not doing it. Thanks for saving me from myself LOL

😉

Patties last blog post..Boy’s World

5. Your best friend says:

Girl, I put it off until Tuesday night and there are NO MORE FOLDERS with Pockets & BRADS EEEEEK!! I finally found a small box of about 15 at Walgreens and they were all black plastic. I was fussed at because the teacher only had a black sharpie to write on the folders with! The teachers here only want black expo markers and I was NOT about to purchase a multicolored pack. Those suckers are expensive! 🙂 I’m going to try and find some bright colored ones and when I do, I’m stocking up for next year now!

6. Beth_C (A Mom's Life) says:

I got my son’s kindergarten school supply list two weeks ago and they SPECIFIED Crayola. I was shocked!

And they SPECIFIED Crayola Write-Start Colored Pencils. Wal-Mart and Target don’t even carry them. According to the Crayola website, I should be able to get them at Michael’s.

THIS IS KINDERGARTEN All we did in Kindergarten was take naps and eat Play-Doh and have a snack!

7. Jamie says:

Crayola apparently rules the school supply world and I do have to admit I am a Crayola snob. But whew…it is madness ya’ll.

And Miss C had homework in kindergarten. Homework! I just remember nap time, juice and crackers, and playing outside.

On a positive note, thanks to my mom and my MIL and me buying a few things on clearance in spring, I have barely spent anything on school dress code shopping. But Miss C has scored two super cute pairs of shoes from WalMart (Tink and Disney Princess.)

8. Bridgett says:

My list for the 2nd grader:
    Crocs or slippers
    pencils
    ceramic mug (that I don’t care about)
    2 glue sticks
    $25 for supply fee (montessori: all supplies are shared).

My list for the preschooler:
    Crocs or slippers
    change of clothing
    ceramic mug

This is the school for me. I watched a mom freak out in Target the other day because “bag candy” was on her kid’s 3rd grade list. So was “one sheet stickers” which she could not figure out at all.

I would so be going for the prepackaged set. What a brilliant idea.

Bridgetts last blog post..What to Expect When You Expect Me

9. Shannanb aka Mommy Bits says:

I have to say that I thought I was all alone. I love school supply/school clothes shopping. I am not sure why, I think it’s just excited because the start of school means the start of the next chapter for Sean.

Shannanb aka Mommy Bitss last blog post..Say Cheese!

10. Lisa says:

I used to love shopping for school supply stuff when I was a teacher. I love a brand-new box of crayola’s…..no Rose Art crayons for this girl!

Next year Goosey will head off to kindergarten. I may need a drink after just typing that….

Lisas last blog post..Control