Up With Shnozes

miss-c-and-mommy.gifI’m thinking of starting an exclusive club called Hot Moms With Shnozes (HMWS.)

Jen at Get in the Car met Bossy on her grand Saturn tour across America and Jen mentioned Bossy commenting on her nose being cute. Jen declared that Bossy would be receiving her rhinoplasty fund as she’s apparently always thought her nose is a little on the well-endowed side.

Miss C has told me more than once lately that she does not like her nose. Now Miss C has a “perfect” little straight nose in my opinion. Miss A does, too. So far it looks like they’ve inherited their noses from their Daddy. Miss C wants my nose genes, however, which are inherited from my own Daddy.

“Mommy I want a crooked nose like yours!”

The girl wants a crooked nose.

(Smacks self on the forehead and wonders how to deal with that one.)

“Miss C you have a beautiful nose! It’s like Cinderella’s nose. People want a nose like yours.”

“I don’t like it. It’s stupid and, and…it’s too straight!”

(Smacks self on the forehead again.)

And then I explain to my daughter that I haven’t always liked my nose. That, in fact, I sometimes wish I had a cute little straight nose just like hers.

miss-c-and-mommy.jpg

In those hormone-riddled years of high school and junior high, especially, I obsessed over the imperfectness of my nose and wondered what ever happened to my cute little straight nose from elementary school days. Now I realize how silly and superficial that was. Oh the unnecessary crooked nose angst!

Go forth and celebrate your crooked nose, admire your freckles, love your love handles, cherish your chubby cheeks, covet your curly hair...whatever unique physical features that make you you. Because someone may truly long for what you see in your self as physical imperfection, and that someone may be your own child.

1. Ellen says:

My family doesn’t have a fairy-tale Christmas where we all drink cider and sing carols at the piano. In fact we usually choose quasi-insulting categories to decide who gets to open the next gift.

A few years ago “biggest nose” was the category and I was unanimously the second biggest (to my dad). Up to that point I thought I had a cute little nose. I guess you don’t get to look at yourself in profile too often.

Now I’ve decided, based on busts of Ceasar and other art, that I have a “Roman nose.” I’ve decided that’ it’s a sign that I’m aristocracy. (I just typed “aristocrazy,” really)

Ellen’s last blog post..Spring Day

2. Jennifer says:

LMAO!!

My eldest has my nose, unfortunately the day I took Emily home from the hospital was the day I realized that she has her fathers nose.

It’s hawk shaped and wide. Not really suited for a girl. Poor thing. LOL!

3. mamatulip says:

Both of my kids have my nose and it was one of the first things I looked for when they were born. I remember thinking, “They have Dave’s ears, but they have MY nose, thank GOD.”

mamatulip’s last blog post..Just some stuff

4. Amy says:

Amen,sister! Embrace your “A” cup…or whatever might be your physical deformity 🙂 That is so sweet that your daughter wanted your nose. I want my daughter’s nose. She has a perfect pixie nose that is slightly upturned. I kiss it all of the time- I can’t help myself. I hope she appreciates it when she is older!!

5. Amy says:

I have been so happy with the noses my kids have been blessed with, none of them have mine! How sweet that she wants a not-straight nose.

6. Bridgett says:

I was mortified when I caught myself in profile in 9th grade in a photograph. THAT IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE??? Nobody in my family has my nose. I don’t get it. But it’s ok now.

My daughter doesn’t want my nose. She wants my singing voice (she hears me in the car and at church…it is nothing to be proud of…).

Bridgett’s last blog post..Being Catholic

7. Jennifer says:

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. I never liked having long legs. Growing up they were long and too skinny. And funny enough Miss K has my legs, but more athletic looking and I am so happy she does. I didn’t appreciate having long legs growing up (back before you could find tall sizes), but am glad Miss K does because it’s something we have the same. As for noses my girls have their Daddy’s which is fine by me since I have a nice little bump on mine.

Jennifer’s last blog post..New Design!

8. Sonia says:

I’ve never liked nor hated my nose. My kids generally gotten the pug nose that runs in hubby’s family, which I think is adorable but wonder if it remains on the girls whether nor not they’ll hate it someday.

I try not to discuss my physical inadequacies with my kids, life is hard enough, I don’t want them to have any idea that hating one’s appearance is something they are supposed to do.

Sonia’s last blog post..Some Enchanted Evening – Prom Tunes!

9. Holly Schwendiman says:

Funny how we focus so naturally on our own perceived weaknesses and flaws isn’t it? Truth be told most people would never notice them without our pointing them out. Now I know all these things in theory but in truly adapting them in my own life I still struggle. I am trying harder not to compare my worst to another’s best though.

Hugs,
    Holly

10. Lisa says:

I think you’re both beautiful 🙂

Sometimes I worry about Lulu and her red hair. I love it & think it’s gorgeous, but I know it’s not the “norm”...and wonder what I need to do to instill in her that it’s beautiful and help her to love it….

Lisa’s last blog post..Happy Birthday Baby

11. Emily says:

I hope and pray that the boys get neither my teeth (more precisely, my bite and related TMJ) nor my eyesight. BHE has perfect vision and straight teeth and bite (and never had braces) so I’m rooting for that to win out!

I have a bump on my nose. It used to bother me, but now I like it – has character.

Emily’s last blog post..Enjoy the Outdoors

Ya’ll I am also nearsighted (although I didn’t start wearing glasses until college) and had to have braces. Hubby has PERFECT teeth and vision, so I’m hoping the girls inherit their Daddy’s smile and eyesight.