Easy Tex Mex Chili Recipe

Tex Mex Chili Recipe

I am making a big pot of Tex-Mex style chili for Super Bowl Sunday this morning. This is my signature winter chili recipe, so take heed, as these moments are few and far between sayeth the hubby (who is a fabulous cook, I might add.)

Here’s the recipe for all to enjoy:

Chili Tex-Mex Style

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 large onions, peeled and chopped

1 large green pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 lbs lean ground beef (I recently tossed in some cubed steak for a change and it was awesome)

3 lb cans of diced tomatoes, plus liquid from the cans

2 6 oz cans of tomato paste

3 lb cans red kidney beans, drained

2 cups of water (my secret is to replace this with a cheap domestic beer, like Miller Light)

1 1/2 tsp salt

3 to 4 tbsp chili powder (I go light on the chili powder)

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, and green pepper, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently and taking care that the garlic does not brown.

Crumble in ground beef and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the meat is well browned.

Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, water/beer, salt, and then 2 tbsp of the chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook uncovered for at least one hour (the longer the better), stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom is not burning.

Top with sour cream, grated cheese, whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy!

This post is dedicated to my brother, who is in Thailand and will no doubt be watching tomorrow’s game from some open-air bar in 90-degree weather.

1. Elexis says:

We love chili here, but I have only one recipe for it (salsa chili) and make the SAME kind ALL the time. (I’m NO cook!) Thanks for sharing. I’m definelty going to do this one.

Elexis’s last blog post..Easy Wallet Tutorial

2. Pattie says:

I love chili, Jamie! Thanks for passing this on.

We’ll be traveling out West and watching our Patriots from a warm cozy pub. Yippee!

Pattie’s last blog post..Therapy

3. Jimmy says:

Sawadee !

Thanks for the dedication lil sis !

Maybe I will go light some incense at the local temple to help Eli, and then hit the open air bar !

4. Miscellany Mom says:

This might seem like a silly question… but how do you subscribe to your posts? It’s probably quite obvious and I am just missing it, but I couldn’t find the RSS feed subscription button/option. THANKS!

Miscellany Mom’s last blog post..finding time

Miscellany Mom (And anyone else who might be interested):

I’m going to check into adding a Feedreader button on my sidebar.

Thanks again for the inquiry!

6. Jill says:

I’m reading this the day AFTER the game, but the recipe still sounds delish. I made a big pot of chili, too, and we had some neighbors over. I watched maybe 2 minutes of the game – not that interested – but I did get to hold a baby, play with my little boy and catch up with some dear friends. Yeah!

Jill’s last blog post..Happy 81st Birthday, Mom

7. Ella S says:

This sounds like a great Chili recipe. Wish I would have had that LAST WEEK. shoot. You should post it on the clever community on cleverparties.com

It’s a pary planning website for busy mothers like us, where you can plan your childrens birthday parties, baby showers, holiday parties, etc.

The link is: http://www.cleverparties.com

8. Michelle says:

Mmmm…love a good chili. And if you like it with a cheap domestic, try it with a good dark beer. It really adds nice flavor.

I’m making lasagna today – it is hubby’s request for his birthday. Poor guy gets his birthday lumped in with the holidays so the least I can do is make him dinner.

9. youtube.com says:

The rationale behind such a tremendous growth is not merely the price discrimination but also the
    non-price discrimination as well, i. This spectacular DISH
    Network Google TV helps you to enjoy the best TV plus the best of web.
    These are just a few of the myriad of changes that the evolution of digital technology has wrought on the photography industry.