Channeling My Inner Pioneer Woman, Minus the Calf Nuts

I thought I’d share a couple of favorite recipes from this holiday season.

I turned my mother on to the Pioneer Woman Cooks blog, which is, in a word, fabulous, and I don’t even really enjoy cooking. She made Ree’s bread pudding with whiskey sauce Christmas weekend and we were all practically licking our plates. OK, so we did lick our plates. This stuff is so good it’s not funny and I’m not even a fan of bread pudding. I am now a convert. I have seen the light! Ree used good ole Tennessee Jack Daniels. Everything goes better with Jack.

I made this artichoke feta dip Christmas day and my family devoured it. The pimientos make it nice and festive, too. I clipped the recipe years ago from the Sunday newspaper coupons.

Artichoke Feta Dip

1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained, chopped

1 8 oz. pkg. Feta cheese, crumbled

1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1 cup regular or light mayo (I use light)

1 clove garlic, minced

1 2 oz. jar diced pimientos, drained

Mix all ingredients

Spoon into 9-inch pie plate or 3-cup shallow baking dish

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly browned.

Serve with assorted crackers, veggies, or pita triangles.

Makes 2 cups.

I also made this chocolate pie Christmas Day because I had to redeem myself for totally screwing it up last Saturday. I doubled the ingredients and forgot to double one key ingredient and the pie was liquid. One of my co-workers at my last job brought it to a holiday potluck and I had to have the recipe. I think those end up being the “keepers” from year to year.

Chocolate Silk Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar (my mother suggested I cut back on the sugar…I’ll let you be the judge)

3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

3 eggs, beaten

2/3 cup evaporated milk

1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted (I use fully leaded buttah)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 deep dish pie crust, frozen

Combine sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Pour chocolate mixture into frozen pie crust. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven on preheated baking sheet for 30 to 35 minutes or until center puffs. Cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping, if desired.

My sister-in-law made Southern Living cheese grits last weekend and they were awesome.

Hubby and I are going to have a nice New Year’s Eve dinner date and I’m really looking forward to it. What about you? Any big plans?

See you in 2008!

1. Bluegrass Mama says:

Ooh, can’t wait to try to the chocolate silk pie recipe. I have an old one, but it uses raw eggs, so I gave up making it a few years ago.

Bluegrass Mama’s last blog post..Thought for the Day

2. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Have a great dinner date. Mr. Schmitty is working, poo. So the kids and I are making our annual appetizer smorgashbord and then I find a channel that is counting down to Australia’s New Year (I think the first in the world). After we ring that in, the kids are off to bed. They would NEVER make our midnight! Then I’ll hunker down with a movie and wait for Mr. Schmitty to get home.

Mrs. Schmitty’s last blog post..That’s Not Toilet Paper On My Shoe

3. Pattie says:

licking lips

OK, Jamie, I am totally salivating over here. Not to mention, my button just popped off on my pants LOL

Anyway, I have been lurking here and there. Wanted to wish you and your family a very Happy New Year

Pattie’s last blog post..The Prank

4. Nicole says:

Those sound delicious and I am totally considering trying those out tomorrow. Thanks for some great recipes. I totally loved your blog!

They are really good recipes and they are all very easy, although I can’t vouch for the bread pudding recipe, as I didn’t make it. My mom is an excellent cook. My general rule of thumb is if it’s not easy to make, mama probably will not attempt that cooking feat!

Also, my mom used Texas Toast for the bread pudding, just FYI ya’ll.

6. Amy says:

Great recipes, I love grits. I come from Southern stock, my mom was born and bred in Georgia so I grew up on grits. I am going to definitely try that. DH and I are going to stay in this New Year’s eve. He’ll drink a few, I’ll watch some things on tv and then go to bed. It’s about our speed right now.

Amy’s last blog post..Christmas Re-cap

Amy,

We haven’t been out for New Year’s Eve in a while. We used to get together with some friends in our hometown, but then we all started popping out babies (well, the moms did) and then it kind of dwindled down.

We’ll probably be home from dinner by 9:30 p.m.! 😉

8. Lisa says:

I LOVE the Pioneer Woman too! Have you read her love story? So great!
    My in-laws called tonight to see if they could keep the girls for us tomorrow night. Um, yeah! Woo-hoo! Last year on New Years Eve I had the stomach flu and was barfing my brains out. This year is bound to be better 😉
    Happy 2008!

Lisa’s last blog post..Merry indeed!

9. Richie Ann says:

Blondemom doesn’t steer people wrong that’s fer sure! I printed out her recipe for the artichoke feta dip and took it to the New Year’s Eve soiree and it was dang good. I got lots of compliments and the guests licked the plate. Thanks so much!

10. Jill says:

I lov eher cooking site, too. I made her lasagna on Christmas Eve and it was very, very good. I also attempted her cinnamon rolls but something went terribly awry and I chunked the whole lump of dough in the trash.

Jill’s last blog post..His & Hers New Year

11. HannahPe says:

Greetings,

Just joined this forum today.

Look forward to greet you all!

All the very best!

Get an [url=http://www.liveeftpos.com.au/pages/eftpos-terminals.aspx]EFTPOS Terminal[/url]!