The Argument

“Mommy, I do not WANT TO LIVE WITH MY FAMILY ANY MORE!”

Where are you going to go? We sure will miss you. What if we build you an apartment in the back yard?

“No, I’m going over there to Spencer’s old house!” (Points out the window next door to our neighbor’s, who moved this summer. Spencer was their rat terrier who sometimes drove me nuts with his nighttime begging at our front door.)

Who’s going to make you cinnamon toast for breakfast and fix your school lunches and read to you at bedtime?

“Well. I’m going to live over there by myself and you can bring me my breakfast every day through the bushes!” (Arms crossed, lower lip stuck out in super pout mode.)

I find it disturbing that my 5-year-old has told me, albeit in a huff of anger, that she wants to move out. I mean I don’t know where on Earth she gets her moodiness.

Wait a minute, isn’t there an Andy Griffith run away episode?

Oh yes, thank you Master Google. That makes me feel like much less of a horrible mother. I mean if Opie wanted to pack it up, it must be a rite of passage.

1. Jacki says:

My parents tell me that I once wanted to run away from home, when I was about 5 or 6. I even packed my own suitcase. It was filled with my favorite toys. However, reality quickly set in when my mom held the front door open for me and told me to keep in touch. 🙂

Yep, it must be a right of passage.

Jacki’s last blog post..Free E-Cards

2. rachel says:

That’s so cute!
    We haven’t hit the runaway stage yet, but mom tells me that I used to do the same thing and that she’d start packing my bags for me and then I would decide it wasn’t such a good idea.
    I really think it’s just a childhood rite of passage; akin to biting your toenails, picking your nose, believing in monsters in the closet, and wanting to marry your parent.
    Great story!!

rachel’s last blog post..BlondeMom does it again

3. Bridgett says:

A friend of mine and her husband are going through the process of adopting out of foster care, and they prepped their three biological children with this information. Their oldest, who is 7, immediately asked, “Can another family adopt me?”

Bridgett’s last blog post..Our Lady of Guadalupe, Pray for Us

4. Amy says:

The first time my 5 year old told me he hated me it broke my heart. But now- if I don’t hear it daily I worry. Don’t ya just love the moodiness? And it only gets better.

5. Holly Schwendiman says:

Yes, this seems to be as universal as the self haircut. My 10 year old is into the throwing of “I hate my life! I wish I’d never been born!” when things don’t go exactly as planned. So much fun.

BTW - congrats on the good news about the lump – I know what a big relief that is!

Hugs,
    Holly

6. kailani says:

There must be something going around because my daughter wants to leave home, too. I think she just wants me to beg her to stay. hee hee

kailani’s last blog post..Mama

7. Kim says:

At least she waited until she was five. My three year old son told us this past weekend he was leaving to find people that like him. AND that he was taking the car and his six month old brother. OH BOY.. can’t wait to see where he goes when he is five. 🙂

Kim’s last blog post..Alvin & The Chipmunks Gangsta Style

8. mamatulip says:

I don’t know where my daughter gets her moodiness from either.

An ancestor, I think. Certainly NOT me.

mamatulip’s last blog post..School days

9. Internet Marketing for Mommies says:

My mom says I did the same thing around her age. She told me to go ahead and pack. Then as I tried to pack “my” things she told me I couldn’t because she bought it all. So I walked down the street with an empty suitcase and my stuffed animal.
    No worries, she followed, hiding behind trees and whatnot. I finally decided running away wasn’t such a cool plan.:)
    Hang in there.

Jackie Lee 🙂

Internet Marketing for Mommies’s last blog post..Email Could Not Be Sent . . . Error

10. Jennifer says:

Love you comments back to your daughter. I’ll have to remember that when my daughters says their moving out, becuase I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. I’m glad to see I’m not alone. I think since my youngest whose 3 1/2 turned 3 from time to time she’d tell me she didn’t love me. Then a few minutes later she wants to be best friends. It’ll pass. Just funny how even at such a young age they act like teenagers, I thought we had a few more years before that happened.

11. george says:

Your 5 year old wants to move out>??? lolol I didn’t want to do that until I was at least 7. :O)

Too cute! Loved the read. I write parenting articles as well. Not as good as yours though.

Mine are 10, 12, and 15. Do you have any others??

:O)

12. Kelly says:

LOL! I love the part about bringing the food “through the bushes”. My younger sister once ran away when she was about six or seven…to behind the trashcans in the driveway. In her words, she wanted to be where all the “good stuff went”...ummm, LOL!

Kelly’s last blog post..Congratulations!