Real Princesses Wear Jeans and Tennis Shoes

We took the girls for a spring nature walk at the park Monday and then capped off Amelia’s official birthday with dinner at a local sports bar type place with live music, a great kids menu, and patio windows open to the 70 plus degree day. Somehow we have started a tradition of taking the girls to a neighborhood sports bar for their birthdays. This is probably because besides McDonalds and a half a dozen Mexican restaurants, there is no other type restaurant in our neighborhood. Well, that and the fact that you can’t beat their cheeseburgers.

After Amelia baptized herself in honey mustard sauce, I took the girls to the bathroom to clean up sticky hands and faces. I decided I looked extra frumpy when I checked out my reflection in the large bathroom mirror. I tucked my t-shirt into my capri jeans and my hair back behind my ears.

Caitlin was watching me all the while and looked at me and said, “Mommy, you look beautiful. You look just like a princess.”

I looked in the mirror again at my straight-from-the park outfit: tennis shoes, white ankle socks, capri jeans, and a Lands End baby blue cotton t-shirt that has been around the block a few times. Not your typical princess attire.

Any time I need a little boost of self-esteem, I just watch Caitlin’s eyes fill with sincerity as she touches my face and tells me I’m beautiful. And besides, who says her ideal princess can’t be 37 years old and wear jeans and tennis shoes?

1. Richie Ann says:

Your baby girl sounds so sweet. I can’t wait for mine to talk enough to tell me sweet things like that.

2. Nancy says:

That’s right—being a princess is all about attitude and inner beauty. I am proud to embrace my inner princess.

I’m with you on the sports bar thing—there’s a local one here that’s one of our favorite places to take the girls. Great service and delicious food, and it’s noisy enough that we don’t feel self-conscious if the kids are not quiet.

Mayberry:

I have not seen that book…sounds like a good one. I’ll check it out!

Caitlin also thinks I’m beautiful with no makeup, glasses on, and a “zip” (zit.) Yep, she always makes me feel beautiful no matter what. 😉

4. Amber says:

Tooooo sweet! My favorite book to read with my daughter is “Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?”

Apparently they do. Oh, and evidentally tennis shoes as well. 🙂

5. Charla says:

I love that! That has to be the best feeling in the world! It’d be good to hear that from my family instead of the “mommy, your belly is big” with a trill of giggles to follow. Really, it was funny at first, but now it’s getting old. Well, this whole being pregnant thing is getting old. Sigh. I just ruined your feel good post with my yuck. Sorry! 🙂

Oh Charla I get the “mommy your belly is fat,” “your belly is squishy” remarks too. And I’m not even pregnant! 😉

7. Mrs. Flinger says:

Oh, Jamie. This is one of my very most favorite all time posts ever. You made me teary. (Homrones! I blame hormones!) But really, LB watches my every move and how I feel about my body and it breaks my heart to think one day she’ll tell me “I look fat, mom” because she’s not and she’s wonderful and it’ll kill me. Caitlin is doing that for you. What you feel and what she sees are totally different. But in a good way.

8. Renee says:

She’s such a sweetie. And you know when those little ones tell you something, they mean it b/c they’ll also bust right out with how bad we look.
    Did you scoop her up and kiss her right there?!

9. Liza says:

oh…I just love your daughter!

Other people can give us compliments like that (that you look like a princess in blue jeans) but when it comes from our daughters, it’s very special. Afterall, they are the real “princess experts”, aren’t day?

Noelle does that to me to. Give me compliments on some days and on other days remind me that my belly is fat and that I need to exercise 🙂

Give Caitin and Amelia a hug for me 🙂

10. Erin says:

That is just the sweetest thing!! I love when my son has one of those moments of sincerity, it makes everything in the world seem to be okay 🙂

11. slouching mom says:

So sweet. My younger son is in a very similar period of infatuation with me, and God does it boost my bruised and battered body image!

12. Shoe Lover says:

i can understand the happiness a mom can get when her daughter starts talking and when she is ready to wear all that branded clothes, the jeans, trendy shoes
    i love girl kids

13. AliceIacuzzo says:

Of course, you can! Everybody can be his or her own prince or princess! To be honest, I like your stories. Your attire seems more handsome actually!