Parenting Question of the Day

So, moms with kids in daycare/preschool. Do you ever take your kids in on your day off? Caitlin is home with me today and is content watching movies from the couch while I attempt to scale Mount Laundry. I took Amelia to daycare at 10. Heck, we paid for the week (we get one discounted tuition “vacation” week but we use it during Christmas) so I want to get some bang for our childcare buck. Any way, one 4-year-old who is easily distracted by Disney is way easier than two children, especially the youngest who is in the MUST GET INTO EVERYTHING stage. And I have to admit after a week of full throttle family togetherness, wiping butts, and cleaning sand from baby fat rolls, I could use a little reduced mama time before the weekend.

1. Carolyn says:

Yes, I do. It works the same for us in that we pay for a full week whether he is there or not, so financially it is a wash.

During the summer, I work a half day on Friday’s from home (full-time the rest of the year, with one day at home). Brandon goes to daycare in the morning and in the afternoon I clean, grocery shop, run errands or whatever. It makes the weekend time with him less stressed and rushed if I can get those things out of the way on Friday. Sadly, my half days are over now. 🙁

2. Kristen says:

Oh, you’re so right – two kids are more than the double the work of one. Funny kid math or something.

3. Nicole says:

You know I do, sister. Not that often, but when I need a sanity break I do not hesitate.

Good luck with Mt. Laundry.

4. R*belle says:

I fully believe that Beaux and Bella have come to appreciate the structured day that daycare provides. So, yes, they go. Not that I have many days off, but when I do they are MINE ALL MINE. Sometimes I use daycare to keep one of the children so I can have some one on one time with the other. that is nice as well.

5. Amanda says:

On my short days at work I leave Hannah with my mother and I just take Gracie. I get a lot done and get to watch tv all by myself.
    Hannah has fun with my mom 101 with her is very special.

6. Cathy says:

Are you kidding?!? Of course! There are very few opportunities in a mothers life to be completely alone, even if it is to do chores. It’s still being ALONE. Relish the break!

7. Jennifer says:

She dosent start till October, but I;m lookin forward to it! I would do it in a heartbeat. I mean, you’re payin for it, PLUS she gets to play her heart out and you get to either relax or do chores (crazy woman).

8. Paige says:

Ummm, yep! There are days when you just need a break. Now that I live closer than 45 minutes from work/daycare I can easily do it.

9. Chris says:

Absolutely! She’s an only child, so she can always use the interaction with other kids, and I get stuff done – it’s a win-win situation. And, like you said, it’s paid for anyway – why not use it?

Well ya’ll have definitely helped ease what guilt I have when I do take the girls in on a day off! I definitely need my sanity days. Now I just need to work on doing something fun on the Fridays that I take them in instead of resorting to chores and housework!