Oh the Burning and Itching, But Mostly the Bitching

No, I don’t have a venereal disease, but I’m having a knock down drag out this week with allergies and so far the allergies are winning. You could write your name in pollen on the hood of my car. And hey, I always wanted to live in a “hot spot” city,but not because it’s a poster child for pollen. I look like I’ve been up all night chain smoking. I had a volunteer gig at our local elementary school yesterday and wanted to look nice and professional, not red-eyed and looking like I’d had an all nighter. My head feels like a giant pollen filter but if I take an antihistimine I’m pretty much comatose and drooling. Is it happy hour yet? Because if I’m going to be comatose, I might as well have a margarita chaser and be on the couch with the Tivo remote. Claritin seems to work “OK,” but I think it’s one of those OTC drugs that must build up in your system and I’m an impatient thing. As with most things in life, I want IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION or, at the very least, for my eyes to stop burning already. Maybe it’s time to start researching a full-house Hepa air filtration system or a move to Arizona as the hubby’s allergies are causing him to snore like Chewbacca.

Hayfever chickie

On a positive note on the state of sinuses in our home and because I can’t go very long without circling back to my girlies, Miss A went back to daycare yesterday after being home since Friday with a bad cold. Did she cry for mama after being home so much? No. She went straight to her teacher, smiled and sat down with her friends at the breakfast table (there is nothing cuter than a bunch of one-year-olds sitting around a little wood table in little wood chairs) for a sippy cup of milk and morning snack and waved at me with the maturity of a 13-year-old whose thinking, “Uh, mom, it’s OK. You and sissy can leave now. Alright?” I kept waving and saying bye as Miss C and I walked down the hall and expecting her to sniffle or something. Now I’ll just use that to segue into the fact that she’s loving the new one-year old classroom and has been devouring everything they offer on the school lunch menu. We get daily daycare “report cards” and Miss A’s always say she ate EVERYTHING…a girl after my own heart.

1. R*belle says:

Allergy season BLOWS! Literally, haha. I take zyrtec every day and it helps a little. I take it for hives, but it is actually an wllergy medicine, I think. And yeah, the kids pretty much are fine at daycare without us, but I keep telling myself it isn’t true!

I cannot WAIT for next year (august) when Emma will be enrolled once a week in preschool. Lily has never had a problem being away from Mama but Emma is a different story and altho I force her regularly to stay in the gym daycare for an hour, she needs a more structured environment. Well, don’t we all?

Sorry about the allergies. I am in the same way and this latest bout has me confounded a little, I’m not sure if it is an actual virus or just the good ol allergies. After a week of nothing but sore throat and snotface, I’m more than ready to moe on. gahhhh!

3. Renee says:

I’m lucky to not have allergies, but I know enough people that suffer with them to say ‘I feel your pain’.
    Yay for Amelia, she’s such a big girl!

4. Pattie says:

Glad your daughter made out so well…it’s those small victories, isn’t it?
    Allergies are NO FUN. My 4 y.o (who’s name is Jaime!) suffers terribly during Spring and Fall. She takes Zyrtec at night before she goes to bed, and I do give her a low dose of Benadryl. It works fairly well. Also, a nasal spray and saline eye drops can be beneficial. Hope you are feeling better soon!

5. nancy says:

The allergies are kicking my butt this year too. I hate feeling like my nose is constantly running and my eyes are watering from all the pollen and whatever else in the air.

I have one of those big-little girls too—Rosie will just run into her classroom in the morning with hardly a glance back. I can’t believe she’s already 18 months! (sniffles)

6. Jamie says:

Well I now think that perhaps I had a touch of pink eye! (yikes) I’ve been taking Claritin since last week and it’s helping. Love spring, don’t love the allergies.