Her Royal Sickness

Caitlin keeps us entertained with her budding 3-year-old vocabulary and sometimes misuse of the English language. I love how she says “purpur” instead of purple and “squir” for squirrel. Last weekend while she was sick she said a few things that were both downright cute and pitiful at the same time.

Here are a few examples:

“Mama, I got the fevers.”
Her fever got very high and it really freaked me out since the kid is never sick.

“Mama, I got the sneezes.”
Yep, she was sneezing and congested, too.

“Mama, I coughaguam.”
Translation…coughed up phlegm. I guess if she can’t pronounce squirrel, phlegm would be a stretch.

“Mommy, I thrope!” (throw up)
She does not like taking medicine and does a lot of exaggerated gagging. This brings back memories for me as a child and gagging on cough syrup like it was poison or Wild Turkey. Finally, children’s Motrin cold formula in grape flavor passed her flavor test.

“MOMMY, I need juice.”
OK…not so cute, but as she said that about 849 times last weekend HOW COULD I FREAKINFORGET IT.

Thankfully she was well enough to go back to daycare Tuesday after being home since last Thursday. The caregiver mommy in me was starting to lose it and grow tired of Princess Caitlin’s demands from her throne (aka the couch), mostly involving Dora and fresh juice. I wouldn’t have been surprised if she’d asked me to fan her and handfeed her grapes.

1. mama_tulip says:

Ah, yes, the repeat questions and the “needing” of things. I’m so, so familiar with that.

Glad to hear she’s feeling better!

2. Pattie (Domesticator) says:

Gee, grapes and fanning ….could be a little diva in the making! 🙂
    Sounds like it was a llooonnnggg week. Glad she is feeling better!

3. Kristen says:

Bryce has a ridiculous gag reflex too, although luckily he seems to tolerate most medicine okay. Quinn, on the other hand hates the taste of anything sweet, which all kid medicines are. So with him we get the gagging and the “thrope”-ing of medicine…yummy!

I would much prefer the term ‘need’ to ‘want’ which is what I hear more often than the other! Thrope happens! Glad she is feeling much better especially since the weekend is here!

5. Bluegrass Mama says:

Glad she’s doing better and you can get back to enjoying the fun words.

We were thrilled to watch some old home videos the other day and realize that we had actually caught Emily’s famous “breakfixt” on tape.

6. nancy says:

Man, I remember being a kid and milking the sickness thing for all I could. “Mom… could I have a drink? Mom… could you bring me a book? Mom… I’m a little hungry…”

Payback is no fun. Mimi’s a needy sick kid. Sigh.

7. Jamie says:

I have to admit I kind of enjoy her clinging to me a little because she is a daddy’s girl, but after a few days it gets old and I’m thinking…uh someone bring ME JUICE ‘KAY?! (or a glass of wine) 😉